Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Am...The Truth


More and more I realize that I consider a “new year” to begin with the start of school, not on January 1.  Since kindergarten, I suppose, that has been ingrained in me (and that was further back than I care to count).  So, another new year has begun.  I, for one, am thankful to be back into a routine.  I seem to thrive under a schedule. 

This new school year, where I am blessed to give in ministry during between- speaking-engagements, holds a lot of “firsts.”  It’s our first year under a new name:  Arizona Christian University.  First year with new school colors, a new brand, a new mascot.  We even have a new mission statement:  transforming culture with truth.

What a great mission in which to be called for the Kingdom.  If we are believers in Christ Jesus, this is for all of us.  I guess two questions follow:  1) Exactly what does this mean? 2) How does this happen?  Interestingly, this fits with the “I Am” statements of Jesus.  Bear with me.

I am unable to transform anything on my own.  Likewise, you are unable to transform anything by yourself.  I realize today’s culture is in need of a heap of changing, but if the above is true, how’s that going to happen? 

This is why I’ve always loved 2 Cor. 5:17, that declares where change actually comes from --- true change occurs when I am “in Him” (Jesus).  Real salvation results in transformation.  Not only that, but Jesus declared this:  I am the way, the TRUTH (emphasis mine), and the life. (John 14:6)

Jesus Christ is the original transformer.  That’s His job.  When I abide in Him, and He abides in me, I can’t help but be changed.  As I am being changed, the lost world around me sees a difference, and they desire what I have, too.  When they inquire about the “why,” I get the opportunity to share the good news of my Transformer.  If they buy in, their life is changed, as well.  So, culture is transformed as the Truth transforms individual lives (yes, one life at a time)!

So, after last week’s “thought,” I don't want to neglect to look at the A + B = C equation, answering the “so what” question. 

He is THE TRUTH (A)  +  I am BEING TRANSFORMED (B) =  An opportunity to live out my calling as a transformer of my culture with TRUTH.  




No comments:

Post a Comment