Monday, January 30, 2012

A New Song


I will sing a new song to you, O God...to the One who gives victory...
(Psalm 144:9a, 10a)

As is my new habit, I went running this morning.  However, along the way, in spite of the music pumping through my ear phones, the song of a bird melted away what I was hearing.  As I looked around to see where it was coming from, I took note that the little guy was perched on top a saguaro.  In spite of the prickles, his little beak was lifted to the sky and his song rang clear and true.  His was obviously a song of trust (even if I didn't understand his words).  So, without any prodding, I stopped running and snapped a picture on my phone.

That's about the time, I had a thought.  So, here it is:  why am I not more like this little cactus wren when I'm in the midst of the saguaros of life, and feeling the prickles of problems attacking me?  King David learned how.  As I read Psalm 144, I recognized that he was still singing, even though the mighty waters of deceit were threatening to overwhelm him.  He sang a new song even though people attacked him on all sides.  His was a song of trust, a song of deliverance...even before the delivery came, because he trusted in the One who gives victory!

In Psalm 144, verse 8, David said this, "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you."  As I started running once again, I noticed the words to the song this little cactus wren had drowned out - words from Mercy Me's, Spoken For.  Let me share them with you:
Covered by your love divine
Child of the risen Lord...
To hear you say, "This one's mine!"
My heart is spoken for!

Even to me, this morning, God  brought me word of his unfailing love...I am his; my heart is spoken for!  I have a new song to sing at the top of the cactus when life is the prickliest!  I have much to be thankful for...






No comments:

Post a Comment