Monday, October 29, 2012

I AM Changes i am: Something Else!

A little more about redemption & forgiveness (the two go hand in hand) that I find important.  Look at these passages of Scripture:

What shall we say then?  Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions...For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.  For it was for freedom that Christ set you free.  (Romans 6:1-2a, 12, 14 & Galatians 5:1)
Now let’s look at the full meaning of “redemption” as defined by my Greek Lexicon, which says redemption is “deliverance on account of the ransom paid from the power and ultimate consequence of sin, which Christ procured by laying down his life.”  It adds, “to remove the guilt, punishment and power of sin.” 
Redemption isn’t just a onetime past action.  Redemption is an on-going, present tense, help for today.  To tap into Christ’s redemption is to plug into the Spirit, who lives in us (Romans 8:9) and so, the power of the one “who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in us (Romans 8:11).”  Redemption is a reminder that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13).”  Redemption is a fact that I don’t have to live crippled by sin – anymore.  Will I?  Sadly, yes.  I’ll never be completely freed before heaven (that is the hope of eternity).  Yet, the truth is that I can, indeed, live more and more to Jesus, and less and less to my own fleshly nature, and sinful desires.  The truth:  Because of redemption and forgiveness, I AM NO LONGER A SLAVE TO THE POWER OF SIN.
What’s the key? The Spirit who indwells me.
My redemption and forgiveness mean that not only am I in Him (Jesus), but that His Spirit is in me.  “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh...If you are led by the Spirit, you will walk by the Spirit (Galatians 5:16, 18, 25).”   
The result will be a whole new me...who looks a lot more like Jesus: loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, who exhibits self-control (Galatians 5:22).  I like redemption & forgiveness (freedom) for they are making me a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).                       
-------------------------------------------------------
PS.  What identity truths are for today?  How about focusing on these:
In Christ, I am a new creation.
In Christ, I am indwelt by His Spirit.
In Christ, I have resurrection power over sin.
In Christ, I am freed from the fleshly nature.
In Christ, I am no longer a slave to sin.
In Christ, I can do all things...

No comments:

Post a Comment