Monday, January 7, 2013

Every Man


And we proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom that we may present every man complete in Christ.  And for this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me (Col. 1:28-29).

The Apostle Paul would never have received a passing grade in English 101 (well, his translators wouldn’t).  Bible grammar is fairly sketchy, at best, and Basic English rules are simply not adhered to, overall.  Look at the above verse – as an English teacher, I would have frowned upon using the same combination of words three different times in one sentence (i.e., every man).  Yet, when it comes to Biblical Interpretation the rules are different.  When words are repeated, pay attention!  When they are repeated three times, REALLY.PAY.ATTENTION.  So, why this combination of words - and, all in one verse?  Here are my thoughts...

Every man.  This was Paul’s heartbeat.
(Boom) every.
(Boom) man.

This was Paul’s life breath.
(In) every.
(Out) man.

His path.
(Left foot) every.
(Right foot) man.

His time-piece.
(Tick) every.
(Tock) man.

This was the same attitude that was in Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:5).  Paul had caught it.  He loved it.  Lived it.  Died it.  Every man.

Wherever he went – it was with the same purpose: to proclaim Jesus, to admonish, to teach...every man.
Wherever he went – it was with the same goal:  to complete, perfect, bring to maturity...every man.
Wherever he went – it was with the same intentions: to labor, striving, in the SPIRIT’S POWER (not his own)...for every man.             
At all times...every man.

Oh, to be so focused!  This was the verse that caught my eye this morning.  It’s our ministry passage (for FOCUS Ministries).  I’ve read it a hundred times.  This morning every man came to my attention.

2013 may look very different for me.  Change is inevitable.  Yet, like Paul, who imitated Jesus, my calling will not change.  There will still be people, wherever I go.  Not projects.  Just people.  People who need Jesus-words.  Jesus-heart.  Jesus-attitude.  Jesus-hands.  Jesus-hope.  From me.  I am to be about every man.  I am not to pick and choose, not to isolate, not to curl up on a couch or in a chair with a good book or a good movie, but to keep being about being used – through the power of HIS GLORIOUS MIGHT.

Forgive me, Lord, for the times I think I just want to be alone, to see no one, say nothing, be a vegetable.  That’s not really my heart...it’s my distraction.  I want to be an imitator of the one who imitated You.  Open my eyes, that I be ready, for every man.   Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment