Monday, April 22, 2013

Defending the Almighty God (No Cussing Necessary)

OK.  I need to backtrack in Romans.  I'd made it all the way through Chapter 7, and then a question came up this week that I started wrestling with, and it sent me scattering through Romans for an answer.  I think I found it, but it may take a couple of weeks to completely and thoroughly figure it out.  Here's "The Question":  Have you ever wanted (or felt the need) to defend God?

Recently, I’ve been in that position, where I felt like God was “cornered,” and I struggle with how to respond.  Does God want me to come to his defense?  Does he need me to?  After all, he is God, and is more than capable of stepping up to the plate on his own behalf.  Yet, from time to time, I meet with very honest people, who struggle with connecting the dots between the events of their life, and the character of God.  I understand when we’ve been in tough spots (or are currently), how difficult that can be.  When circumstances out of our control occur, we wonder things like, “If God is good, then why didn’t he step in or step up, and keep this from happening?”  “If God says that it ‘isn’t good for man to be alone,’ then why am I alone and lonely and in my 40’s?”  “Where was God when I was being hurt?” I’ve even had someone say, “God just seems to be like the big bully who stands over an ant with a magnifying glass, just to watch them squirm; only I am the ant.”  Or, “God promises to give us what we need, but it’s like I’m dying of hunger, and he says, ‘...oh, here’s a blanket; you must be cold.’”   I’m so thankful for honesty, and I want to provide a safe place where people can feel free to examine their uncertainty.  Yet, from time to time, when God’s character comes into question, and unbelief looms large, something rises up within me wanting to speak to his integrity.  At the same time, doing so feels like I’m arguing...  So, then I wonder, am I allowing myself to get into a senseless argument, which Proverbs and the New Testament are filled with warning against, calling it foolish?

As I continue on with my study in Romans, I feel as if I’ve gotten a little glimmer into how the apostle, Paul, might have handled situations of this nature.  Sprinkled through the book, at least ten times, and maybe more, since I’m not finished, Paul uses some strong language (NASB):  May it never be!  Whenever he uses those four words, they almost always follow a discussion of either God’s character or the validity of His words.  Examples:
Does my unbelief nullify God’s faithfulness (just because I have a hard time believing God’s character does that mean he’s not who he says he is - Romand 3:3 & 4):  May it never be!

Is God unjust (just because I don’t seem to have life as easy as someone else, is he unfair, unjust, unrighteous - Romans 3:5 & 6, 9:14):  May it never be!

Has the Law become sin (just because God hasn’t fulfilled his truth the way I interpreted, does that make that same truth wrong - Romans 3:31, 7:7, 13):  May it never be!
Has God completely rejected those he says he loves (just because God has blessed someone else, does that mean he’s turning his back on me - Romans 11:1):  May it never be!

May it never be!  Heaven forbid!  Absolutely not!  Not on your life!  God forbid!  By no means!  Certainly not!  Paul couldn’t have been more emphatic, insistent, or forceful...not without cussing.
Here are some observations for such situations (if I want to follow Paul’s lead): 

Never take another individual’s statement of unbelief personally.  This isn’t about me.  I’m not the one being cornered.  This is about him; and God is capable of defending himself.  God never needs me to get “defensive” for his sake, only to be on the “offensive” with the truth.
State the truth emphatically (but don’t cuss).  It’s always important to bring to light anything that bleeds of heresy with a rebuke.  Goodness doesn’t shy away from speaking what is right, no matter how hard or forceful it needs to be (although goodness is always preceded in the list of spiritual fruit with kindness, reminding me to temper my “goodness” with love).  Yes, we can be forceful and loving at the same time.

Once I speak truth offensively, I must let it go...and let the Spirit of God take over.  After correction has been verbalized, God will step up, step in, and come to his own defense when necessary in his own timing.  In his own sweet way, truth will win out.  It will never be forced down another’s throat, but in the wooing, gentle way of God’s Spirit, he always allows truth to continue to prick at the heart.

I’m learning one other, more difficult lesson.  I’ll save it for now.  Just this much is worth my continued pondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment