Monday, June 10, 2013

Pondering & Storing - Important Stuff


As I sit to put words on paper this morning, I already know what I’m writing about (sort of).  The theme will seem a bit out of place; it will appear to be too “Adventish” (If I can create a term) for this time of year – a little too much Christmas for June.  I reckon we can always use a little more preparation for the ushering in of Jesus into our lives on a regular basis.  I just happen to be reading through Matthew.  I’ve made it through Chapter 2 over the course of this week.  I stopped yesterday morning when this thought connected:  “Poor Mary!  Oy – all the moving!”  (I wonder why that crossed my mind? Duh!)

Of course I have moving on the brain still.  I’m just barely unpacked from our little move.  It has seemed a bit of a big deal, to me.  However, over the course of just a few years Mary made three major moves.  I wonder if it seemed a big deal to her? She didn’t own a truck and a trailer, so she had to learn to simplify (I know, possessions were much simpler in her day, but it still meant packing and sorting).  Every move for Mary had a purpose.  Every move meant God’s Son was protected and nurtured until God-the-Father’s timing was right for Jesus to be presented to the world…  I know she understood that, since an angel made it perfectly clear to Joseph in a dream.  Every move God's had us make has almost the same purpose...

Yet I wondered, because Scripture doesn’t tell us, how all the moving affected Mary.  Was she at all like me?  Even knowing God was in the process.  Even knowing God had a purpose greater than the place they called home.  Was it difficult for her to pull up roots?  Was it hard to say good-bye to friends?  Did the what-next-question occupy her mind? Did she wonder how she would fit into the next season, the new chapter, and the unknown of the next day?  Did she get anxious?  Fearful?  OR…was her response the one that seemed to roll so easily off her lips when the angel visited her prior to Jesus birth?  “I am the hand-maiden of the Lord.  Let it be as you have said (I skipped ahead to Luke 1:38).”  Did Mary always have a ready-to-serve, submissive heart?

Then it struck me.  Mary was a “ponderer” (another made up word); and, she was a hoarder-of-sorts (just not of material possessions, like me).  Mary carefully considered all the information before making a conclusion.  She reflected and weighed the circumstances, the options, the facts, and looked carefully for God in the middle of them.  She had a life-style pattern of taking mental snap-shots of life experiences, and seeing God’s hand all over the stories of her life.  I know this is true, because the word, ponder, is often used in connection with Mary.  Then, she saved the snapshots and all the accumulated knowledge of God locked up in the treasure vault of her heart for future faith-use.  (A side note: Great leaders are ponderers.  I know this because I just finished a book written by a credible leader, who listed the number one characteristic trait as the ability to think "gray." I think you can connect the dots.)  

Here’s what this reflection has revealed to me.  Because pondering-and-storing were a lifestyle habit for Mary; because she had a history of accumulating faith-building-experiences noting God’s presence, His faithfulness, His provision, then God’s requests were easily noted and responded to with ease.  

Pondering-and-storing.  Important stuff.  Faith is built on pondering-and-storing.  Humility, surrender, and obedience find their key in pondering-and-storing.  

Pondering-and storing will be written on the new pages of this next chapter called life, because I want Luke 1:38 to be me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment