Monday, July 8, 2013

A Salty Light


As I type this morning’s blog, I am fresh off a women’s retreat for an organization called Thrive (formerly, Women of the Harvest).  Thrive exists to encourage "global" women (have to be careful not to use the "m" word) from all over the world.  Many of these women come exhausted, hurt, broken, and depleted.  These are true servants.  They are passionate about the people to whom they have been entrusted to take the word.  They work hard, fight unseen battles, corrupt cultures, and personal issues.  The few days they spend in retreat are purposely crafted to carve out time for them to process, to tell their stories, and to renew, basking in the love and encouragement of volunteers who come to simply serve them in return.  It’s glorious to see our Father do his work of healing, mending, and restoring.  Thrive provides a safe place for us all to be authentic and meet the Living One in the midst.

As I open the Word this morning, my eyes fall on Matthew, chapter 5.  I am hit with the passage we call The Beatitudes. I encourage you to take a look at them just to jog your memory.  This is the “Blessed-Are” portion of Scripture.  “Blessed.”  From the Greek word, transliterated, “makarios.”  It could be translated happy.  That seems a poor translation when you look at some of the things that follow:  If you are impoverished in spirit, well, find happiness!  If you are in the midst of mourning, find happiness!  If there’s conflict in your world, and you are in the midst of it as a peacemaker – be happy!  If you’re being persecuted – be happy! 

For years, my life has been about stories.  I’ve been privileged to sit across from many a woman who has entrusted me with her story. I’ve heard stories of women whose lives reflect these conditions, and believe me they are not happy!  Not as the world defines the word.  Over the course of last week, I have discovered something that changes the way I look at Matthew, Chapter 5.  I went back to my Greek dictionary, revisited the way this word can be defined, and mined the truth a little deeper.  There is a distinct Presence found in this word, it is the Presence of God in the midst of our life happenings.  Makarios also means, “blessed one,” “one who has found God’s favor in spite of what our circumstances may be.”  The Lord, the Blessed One, is the Presence to be found in the middle of our stories. 

Life events don’t always make for happiness.  “BUT GOD” in the center of our life events does account for blessing.  Here’s what I think I need to take away from The Beatitudes as a general rule of thumb.  Discover the ALMIGHTY in every circumstance of life...in every story (even if I'm still in the midst of one).  When I see the Blessed One in the midst, I can’t help but unwrap a myriad of gifts that will overwhelm the difficulty of my current situation.  When I see the gifts, I will find a smile that spreads from the inside out and find peace in the pain. 

Guess what follows next?  You are the salt of the earth (5:13)… You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden (5;14)…  Wanna be salt?  Wanna be light?  Wanna be a renewed servant of the Most High?  Look for the Blessed One in the middle of your story!  Yep, I want to be a salty light!  Now that's attractive...


No comments:

Post a Comment