Monday, October 13, 2014

Selah-Moments

This past week, Bay and I took a pause in our week and drove up into the mountains to enjoy fall (I wholeheartedly agree with Anne of Green Gables, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."). It's a shame to live where we do, and fail to take advantage of this season. So, in spite of the long to-do list sitting on my desk, and Bay's sitting on top of his Bible, we interrupted our work-routine, packed a lunch, and headed out. It was an interlude of sweet satisfaction and joy; and, probably the closest thing I'll experience to an African game drive in America. In fact, the feeling was the same. I've always said, I feel the most at peace when I'm in the wild! I'm fairly certain the grin on my face was frozen in place at the end of the day. Oh, my soul! While we weren't looking for animals (although we saw plenty of deer), we went to see the colors. What a display of grandeur! The Lord didn't disappoint. It was breath-taking, heart-stopping gorgeous! I took plenty of pictures, and while they don't do the sights justice, you will get an idea... 








God intentionally meant for pauses to fill our life.
In music, we have "rests."
In literature, we have "comma's."
In the Old Testament poetry, we have "Selah."
In the seasons, we have "fall." (The pause before winter, the time to enjoy the finished harvest)
In the midst of our week, we have "Sabbath." 

All week I have thought of our day away as a "Selah-moment." It was a structured pause in the middle of the rhythm of my life, that renewed my spirit, and brought joy to my soul. All throughout the day, I kept repeating to myself the following verse from Nehemiah, "For this day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength (8:10)." 

Since then, I have sat with Nehemiah's words, repeating them over and over to myself. It was a "holy day!" It certainly felt holy to me, but according to this verse, it was a holy day to the Lord, as well! As I've pondered the words and this thought, it struck me that my Lord loves it when we take Selah-moments, days of Sabbath rest, set-apart-days!  It's pleasing to Him. Why, then, do we tend to feel guilty when we indulge ourselves? Not only that, but the verse goes on to speak an oft quoted phrase, "the joy of the Lord is your strength." 

Ever thought about what that means exactly? It's rather an odd phrase, yet I have regularly explained it this way: Jesus is the JOY of God-the-Father, so then it's Jesus from whom our strength comes. After thinking about that verse, in lieu of our Selah-day away, I've another thought. Whenever I give my grand-children a home-run-gift that brings them joy, it brings me even greater joy. I LOVE it when I see something from my hands bring them pleasure. I think we've inherited that from our Creator. Don't you think that He gets great joy in what brings us the most pleasure? That joy-filled day of Sabbath was exactly what I needed right in the midst of the hustle and bustle of preparations to leave for Africa this week. Not only was it holy to the Lord, it was His joy!  I will bask in the glow of the memory and the filling up of my soul for days to come. That blessed day of enjoying loving gifts from God's creative hands certainly has strengthened me in the midst of craziness. The joy of the Lord (that which brought me joy) has, indeed, been my strength! 

However, the glow of Selah-days will fade, so I will need other days to pause and fill my cup. 
I/We all need Selah like a winter needs a fall!

*********

"Even if something is left undone, 
everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn." 
Elizabeth Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment