Saturday, December 20, 2014

Advent Thought #21 - December 20

I collect nativity scenes. I have them from all over; and they are placed all over my house. I enjoy putting them out every Christmas. Some years I hold back on just how many get unwrapped; I go for simplicity. Other years, they all go up. No matter how many go on the shelves, as I put the figures in place, there is a question that seems to hang over my head: Who am I in the Christmas story? Over the next few days, let's explore each figure, their character traits, and the role they played in the Jesus-story.


Mary.

I know. We've already looked at Mary some little bit. So, here's what I see in this woman:
Pure in heart.
Teachable.
Humble.
Surrendered.
Sacrificial.
Willing to be willing.
Obedient.
Reflective.
Ready.
Faith-full!
Filled with God (literally and metaphorically).
Not fear-less, but courageous.
Human.

Here are some of my favorite God-words about Mary.

Greetings, O favored one (highly sought after, filled with grace), the Lord is with you! (Luke 1:28, 30)

"Do not be afraid, Mary... " (Luke 1:30)

And Mary said, "Behold  am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38)

Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord. (Luke 1:45)

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant... (Luke 1:46-48)

Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. (Luke 2:19)

As we read God's words, we can see so much depth of character between the lines, in the woman God chose to mother His Son. If anyone had a mama's heart, Mary did! If anyone understood what it meant to be a servant of the Lord Most High, Mary did! If anyone willingly surrendered her life to sacrificial obedience - it was Mary!

Are you Mary?
Am I?

If I'm a Mary, then I am a surrendered servant willing to be willing to receive from God's hand whatever He asks...

Ah, but there are still more folks around that manger to examine.  ðŸ˜ƒ







No comments:

Post a Comment