Monday, January 19, 2015

When Being An Addict is OK!



Sabbath-joy. Ending last week’s blog entry with the Isaiah verse, I’ve been running through other Scriptures trying to glean the fruit. To repeat what I know already: when I honor Sabbath, I will find joy. Isaiah’s written words were first whispered to him from the Spirit of God. I believe them.

Sabbath is not just an EVENT; it’s not just about CHURCH (gasp). First, and foremost, Sabbath is an attitude of the heart.  Incline your ear to Words the Lord spoke to Moses about Sabbath: 

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested (my emphasis) on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
(Exodus 20:8-11)



From the beginning, God set in motion a plan. No, more than a plan, an invitation to intermission (Hebrew: sabat, where we get our word “sabbatical”). It is a day to desist from exertion, to cease the norm that is our workweek, and to put it all down for one glorious day.  BUT! Sabbath isn’t just a day of vacation; it is intentional in its purposes. Sabbath is for REST. SACRED REST. There’s a difference. To truly Sabbath, we quiet our souls in order to be wholly present with God.



Here’s what I think (not that it matters). God in his infinite, boundless energy didn’t need rest. Yet, He was also infinitely wise. He knew His creation needed rest in order to function properly. So, he blessed the day that followed His marvelous works of creation; and called it holy. Set apart. Sacred. A day to look over what He'd just accomplished during those six days and see the GOOD! His day of rest was for us to mimic: a day of rest and renewal! Rest for renewal! Remember how part of finding joy is to stop and pay attention, to sift through all our God holds out to us in His right hand? A day of Sabbath allows us the time to do just that...


 ...and there's more!

I love this part of the Isaiah verse that follows the Lord’s command to Sabbath:

…then you will find your joy...and, I will cause you to ride in triumph and soar on the heights of the earth…(Isaiah 58:14)

Isn’t that a spectacular picture? I particularly like the soaring on the heights of the earth. Can you imagine it? After recently reading a book on heaven, my husband is convinced that when he arrives through those pearly gates, the Lord is going to let him ride a pterodactyl. Now, that would be soaring on the heights; and, I imagine he will never tire of it! A Sabbath experience in heaven! As I allowed this to play out in my mind, I thought, “I think I could get addicted to that kind of Sabbath experience.” My next thought, “Maybe that’s what the Lord wants for us here on earth, to be addicted to Sabbath.” Real Sabbath. A God-ordained addiction!




Oh, sweet Lord, may I so love, so honor, so delight in Sabbath, it becomes my addiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment