Thursday, July 14, 2016

It's a GREAT Work!

For those of you following this thread (we started on June 23rd), here's a little summary. The Apostle Paul, speaking truth to the messed-up Corinthian church, gave them several pithy admonitions to follow. These were course corrections for them as he spoke God-breathed words meant to teach, rebuke, correct and train. I've been sidelined by one of those reminders:
ACT LIKE MEN 
(or)



On this particular road, we're exploring what he meant by this statement. We know what it isn't, and we're learning what it is:

When I take the COURAGE-PATH, no matter what has come before, no matter how I feel...I simply "do the next right thing."



I can do-the-work, because MY GOD IS ALWAYS WITH ME!
He fills me with empowering grace.


To see what's left on this course-correction, I've taken a closer look at a little story in the middle of Nehemiah (I'd encourage you to read the whole book - it's short - but if not, please read Nehemiah 6). First the story, then what the Lord's been teaching me.

Nehemiah, heart-broken over the condition of his beloved homeland, returned to Jerusalem from Babylon with one goal in mind: rebuild the wall. He woke up each morning with that work on his mind, and he went to sleep with it resounding in his heart. The wall was critical to survival. If there was even a little breach in the wall, the enemy could conquer the city. Jerusalem might not ever see her former glory, but Nehemiah knew he was the one called to do the work of seeing her protected from further devastation. It was a daunting task. Not only would he have to travel long miles with materials and try to rally the folks in the city to help with the work, but he'd have to fight off outward enemies who continually threatened him. Once he recruited people to do the work, they'd have to split up. Half would work on the wall. Half would hold the spears, shields, bows, and coats of mail, so they'd be prepared for ANYTHING. This wasn't a glorious work. It was laborious. They kept at it from break of dawn until the stars appeared at night. They never took off their clothes and always kept their weapons close. The enemy was being thwarted, so they tried another tactic. Five times they sent a message to Nehemiah to come down from the wall, so they could meet in the plains to discuss a "problem." It was "reported" (ha!) that Nehemiah was proclaiming himself king, and they were troubled by this declaration, and wanted to clear it up. However, even that lie did not persuade Nehemiah to be distracted from his work. So, his enemies tried one final move. Somehow they got to one of Nehemiah's closest allies and intimate advisors, a prophet named Shemaiah. His advise sounds good to a Christian's ears: Let us meet in the temple, for they are coming to kill you... "Nehemiah, let's go to the house of the Lord. There, safely ensconced in the temple, you will be safe under the protection of God's wings." Nehemiah remained undaunted, "I understood and saw that God had not sent him, but that he was hired...that I should be afraid and do as he suggested." And, so...the walls were rebuilt in a total of 52 days.


"When the enemies heard of it, all the nations around were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, because they perceived the work had been done with the help of God (6:16)."


Right there, in the heart of the story is a key to Nehemiah's victory. In spite of threats of violence. In spite of countless distractions. In spite of personal lies being spread about him. In spite of his friends turning against him. In spite of distraction after distraction. In spite of fear. In spite of discouragement. In spite of sorrow and grief. In spite of all that, Nehemiah persisted. He remained steadfast. He did that which the Lord had called him to do. Here is his resolve:

"I am doing a great work and I cannot come down."


Nehemiah was assured of his calling.
He knew his work.
He knew his Lord had brought him to this task, equipped him for the job, and was there with him in purpose and empowerment.
He caught the vision.
He knew the why behind the hard.
There was an outcome he was working toward. He worked for a goal greater than himself.
There was a glory of God to be reflected in this job.

Nehemiah was doing a great work! This was his steadfast anthem. That became his mantra of resolve. If Nehemiah had a Twitter account that would be his hashtag: #Iamdoingagreatwork. If he had an Instagram account, every picture of progress he posted, would be with this comment, "I am doing a great work." If he'd had a Facebook page, all we'd hear would have been these words, "I am doing a great work, and I cannot (no matter how hard you try) come down." This was the catchphrase that kept him courageous.


Even me, I am building a wall. My wall doesn't look nearly as important (or impressive) as Nehemiah's wall, but it's my wall. It's the wall the Lord has called me to purposely work on for His glory. For me, it's a great work. I'm tempted to give up. I'm distracted by an outward enemy, as well as an inward enemy. I'm often distracted from the work. I get TIRED! I am often inwardly crushed by words and actions that seem to be "against me." I am tempted to run and hide, to isolate in the temple, under the shadow of His wings, and just stay there. Sometimes I'm tempted to just sit in a chair by my pond, read a novel all day, and get lost in someone else's world... I needed this reminder: I am doing a great work. 

If it's God's work - it is a great work!


What about you? Are you doing a great work? What's the wall you are building? Write Nehemiah's motto down. Put it somewhere close. Put it on the mirror in your bathroom, on the fridge door that you open 100 times a day. Tape it to the dashboard of your car. It can help you stay steadfast. It will help you catch the vision. It will help you remember there will be a victorious outcome. You will be encouraged that the glory-of-God will be delivered to those around you, if you stay alert, strong, and steadfast in your calling.

You are doing a great work and you cannot come down!

Let's own this motto and man-up, church!




No comments:

Post a Comment