Saturday, March 11, 2017

WASTE NAUGHT, WASTE NOT!

Lent Day 11.

Today and tomorrow, and many days to come, I desire to engage in a different type of fast:
FASTING from WASTE!

Our Cuba trip first solidified this in me.
It began years ago, during our first trip.
Here are a people who have learned to use everything - NOTHING is ever wasted.
Everything is re-used.
Old American-made cars from the 50's are still gorgeous, still running...sometimes held together by rubber bands.


Clothes are made and re-made to fit and re-outfit.
Old cameras and computers that we've discarded, and take in as gifts, are received with tears of joy...

This year...we traveled to the furthest point on the Cuban map.
Baracoa.
The city was hardest hit by Hurricane Matthew in October 2016.
Buildings had huge holes where the force of the surf went through one wall and out the other.




Farms were stripped of every form of plant-life, where the winds took down palm trees, coconut trees, mango trees...and farmers have to begin anew planting with mere seedlings, wondering how they will make a living this year...


This whole concept of "fasting from waste" hit again when recent news in our once-home-of-Kenya started hitting the papers and social media.

The entire country is enveloped in a serious drought.

Here are a few posts and pictures from one of our former-dorm-sons who is working up North:

"I was really reminded of our mortality today when one of your neighbors died of dehydration. Please pray for this family and our village as they morn his passing and struggle to get enough water."




"Please pray for our water situation! I just discovered today that our well is drying out because of this intense drought! Over 1000 people depend on our well and our tanks are almost empty and the pump has very little to lift. Tomorrow I plan to monitor exactly how many liters we still have per day."




"This story really touched my heart as I visited with the Kalacha elders the last couple of days. Two days ago a young man's wife gave birth to a baby in a remote village at the Northwest foot of the Hurri Hills. After the baby came the mother began to weep as there was not food to eat and her strength was gone. Her husband, knowing the situation at home, and the fact their animals had all died, started walking for help. Upon hearing from some that help my be found at the Church in Kalacha, he walked 32km with nothing but clothes on his back to find this Church. Upon reaching Kalacha he found one of our elders and shared his story. The Church quickly responded, gathered food, and sent him home with tears of joy in his eyes, praising God! At least now his wife and child would have some food to gain strength!

Please continue to pray for rain and assistance for these people and praise God for the wonderful Church in Kalacha, which has been working night and day trying to help all they can with Christ's love!"




How often do I turn on water to do the dishes, take a shower, and simply take this life-sustaining liquid for granted? 

Seldom do I think about each precious drop. 

I'm starting my fast with appreciation.

I'm beginning with prayer...for countries where water is not an easy commodity to obtain.
Where women have to walk FAR and carry HEAVY loads just to have something to drink, let alone bathe or wash dishes...and even then, the wells or the rivers may be dry.

I'm researching ministries where wells are being dug, and every penny of support goes to well-drilling. 
This is a cause worthy of investing towards, and, because:

Fasting requires a sacrifice...
...ALWAYS.

...and I am becoming more mindful that I don't NEED everything I may WANT...
...and the most basic things I NEED, I often take for granted, because I already HAVE...often in abundance!

"Waste Naught," the Lord has whispered to me, "and...waste not!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment