Wednesday, June 14, 2017

God is in the New Thing Business

OK.
Truth is that right now I'd like to scream.

I just spent 87 minutes writing my Thursday morning blog.
I hit "publish" and nothing happened.

Then, "poof" (just like that!) the whole thing disappeared. Gone! Lost forever and ever, never to get it back, even though I'd "saved" along the way.

Bummer.

So, instead of the better-written version; I'm quickly doing a summary version that's not-so-well-written.

Sigh....

XXX

F. Scott Fitzgerald is quoted as saying the following:


While, I believe he meant it to be hopeful.
I don't read a lot of hope into his opining.
It's like..."Gee, I sure do hope that if you don't like your life as it is, you somehow muster up enough 'oomph' to begin again...somehow..."

I've lived enough life to know, I do not have that kind of "oomph" anywhere in me.
There's no way, no how, I can begin-again, start anew, or find the energy to a do-over, on my own.
Neither can you...(sorry to pop your bubble)!

However, there is a "BUT GOD..."


(I love these two words!)

This week, I was struck by the fact that at all times, in all places, under all circumstances, no matter what we are going through, or have gone through, we have a God who is in the "new-thing-business."

God is the God of New Things...

I spent some time recently (it was actually on the wedding anniversary of one of my girls) reflecting on this truth... 
...Thankful for all my Lord has done in MY LIFE;
and, I resonated with King David's words, "Oh Lord, my Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!"


I remembered darker days.
A long, endless, difficult, dry season.
A particularly HARD place.
I looked back on the past and remembered this verse, spoken from the Lord, to my heart through the pen of the prophet Isaiah:


The Lord spoke a healing balm that was salve for my soul in these words!
...In the midst of the DARK;
...In the middle of MESS;
...In the shattered pieces of BROKEN;
He is still at work.


God is always doing a new thing.
(even when it doesn't feel like it...)

During those days, the Lord's instructions were simple.
(I'm so glad they are! When we are in a tough place, we sure don't need complicated. He knows that, too!)

Here were His instructions.

1.  Don't dwell on the past. Get out of that funky-mind-cycle that is driving you crazy.
2. Set your eyes on the future - Keep watch for that "new thing."

"See, I am doing a new thing..."

So, here's a truth to hang onto in the middle of your hard, dry, dark, desert-like place:

You don't have to muster up any "oomph" to begin anew.
You don't have to "hope" you can find some strength to make a change.

You have a BIG GOD who takes care of all the details...
...who gives you some "umph," as opposed to "oomph" to see tri-umph come from the trials.
...who shows you the changes to make that will help you see real-life transformation.
...who creates streams in dry wastelands.
...who brings morning to the darkest of nights.

He is your God,
The God who is in the New-Thing Business!







No comments:

Post a Comment