Thursday, June 21, 2018

I Can Only Imagine...How About You?


“I can only imagine…what it will be like…when I walk by Your side...”

With that song ringing in my ears, I wonder…what do others think about heaven?

That question has been bouncing around my brain for a week.

So, I went to that all important world of hashtags to see what others were thinking…the land of Twitter.

#heaven

Here’s what the top hits revealed:

“My brother did it again!! Congrats Bubba!!!!! #1 song in the country!!! #heaven”

(A picture of a gorgeous red tulip field) “This place. #heaven”

“Beer-can chicken is off the grill and smells AMAZING! #heaven”

“I could spend all of my money at Yankee Candle! #heaven”

“My home next week ~ Italia Puglia. #heaven So excited.”

“My favorite lilac from childhood is in bloom! #heaven”

“I’ll just stay in this queen-sized-memory-foam bed in the Lakes on vacation forever. Thanks. Bye. #heaven”

I could go on and on… #heaven is represented by food, places, smells, music, friendships, flowers, tourist spots, vacations…


Finally…..so far down the list I almost didn’t see it, this tweet:

“There is a God in heaven. #heaven (followed by a meme siting Daniel 2:28)”


That’s reassuring, right?

To be in heaven is to be with God. 

So, what we think of God is what we think of heaven.



And, I wonder…how well do I know my God?

Sometimes, I fear it is pretty shallow…

But, if all I know of Him is all there is, then HEAVEN is QUITE AMAZING (much more-so than beer-can-chicken)…

God is, so heaven is, too:

Grace-full

Good 

Love

Truth

Kind

Joy

Peace

Hope

Mercy

Faith-full

Sovereign

Wisdom

I just picked the first dozen characteristics of God the Father that came to mind.  There is, obviously, so much more to our God.

So, ponder this list. Just think about it for a minute…



NOTHING CONTRARY TO THE CHARACTER OF GOD CAN BE IN HEAVEN!!!

Think what won’t be there:

FEAR (OK..just that…that is enough)

EVIL

SIN

ANGER (perfect relationships)

WORRY

SELFISHNESS (oh, praise Jesus!)

UNFORGIVENESS

COMPARISON

ENVY



COMPLAINING

ANNOYANCE

CRITIQUING

GRUDGE-HOLDING

GRIEVANCES

PAIN

SUFFERING

TEARS

IGNORANCE

“I can only imagine…what it will be like…”

What’s on your two lists? I’d love to know…


4 comments:

  1. Won’t: Will:
    Clutter. Rest
    Misunderstanding. Community &
    Competition. Unity
    Loneliness. Smiles
    Calories. Clear-cache-mind
    Roaring lion. Reunion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Vada...Calories! I love that!!!!! but, especially, all those beautiful smiles! :D

      Delete
  2. Heaven is final sanctification and true freedom, beautiful, acceptance and belonging because of Christ, family, glory-filled, Jesus, Trinity.......(to name a few more!) ... and what won’t be there - striving, weariness, hopelessness, isolation, comparison (I know you mentioned it, but it can be such a stumbling block of the enemy) - which, just reminds me - No enemy!!!!! Wahoo!!!!! Already our defeated foe!!!!!! And he won’t be there to mess with us any more!! Praise God for the power of the cross and His triumphant resurrection!!!!! Ahhh!!! Heaven!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes....the defeated foe. No more wondering where those "attacks" are coming from... And, oh my, "Ahhh!! Heaven!!!!!" Love your thoughts.

      Delete