Thursday, April 30, 2020

Day 7 - The Journey to #bebrave



This past weekend, I participated in a Velvet Ashes retreat.

VA exists to support women who are serving overseas in many capacities.

Their mission statement is dear to my heart.

Having lived, and served, a short time overseas, my heart easily connects with women who are in that place I once was.

As I walked through the retreat sessions, preparing for the group I would co-lead over the course of last weekend, I journeyed backward in time to many common-fears, often unspoken, by women all over the world, who are, well, just women...

 (never in a million years did I think I would be "zooming" all around the country, and the world, as I have during the last few weeks)

Those thoughts that resonate with all of us: How do I...

...deal with aging parents, those living close, and those who live a continent away?

...cope with transition and change (that often transpires quickly)?

...uproot and transplant into old cultures now that I've adjusted to a new culture?

...manage until I'm settled into a new normal?

...provide, when the finances are wearing thin (because supporting churches, or personal supporters have had to back off, or because we've been furloughed from jobs)?

...juggle the normal demands, pressures, and stresses of my everyday, let alone the new demands, pressures, and stresses of living in uncertainty?

...and, speaking of uncertainty, how? How do I do uncertainty, day in and day out?

...raise children to love Jesus and be functional humans, when I feel like I am anything but functional, or human? 

...make certain I am mom-enough?

...feed my family what they have come to expect, when normal grocery items I'm used to cooking with are unavailable?

...lessen my expectations?

...pick back up and carry on when life has left me shattered for a season?

....even find a new normal?


If you've served, or worked, globally, you've asked all those questions at one time or another, plus some.

If you're still practicing physical-distancing and essential-only-travel, due to the recent pandemic, you've asked many of those questions, as well?

Having asked these questions, I've discovered a few answers.

Some, I've already shared, this one, however, relates to our VA weekend retreat.


The theme:  Yet, I Will Celebrate!

The key verse: Habakkuk 3:17-19.

Habakkuk is looking in the cupboards and the provisions are nil.

He's looking out the window and it's particularly barren.

He's gone to the barn and it's empty...and the plants in the garden have withered.

(the old Forrest barn)

He's concerned about all this, because the Lord has just assured him "trouble is coming" and your people are about to be "invaded." "Devastation is upon you."

Thank you, Lord, for such good news (I wonder if Habakkuk was as facetious as I am prone to be)!!!!

I'm curious, today, if you sat to write out verse 17 in your own words what would you be writing? What are some of the discouragements you are facing, which then cause you worry, anxiety, fear, or  even, panic?

Even though ____________________________________.

Even though ____________________________________.

Even though ____________________________________.

We joke about toilet paper, but that is a very real thing (more on that day after tomorrow)...


Habakkuk's next words are: 

Yet, I will rejoice!

That word rejoice....

It can also be translated "to celebrate;" but, it literally means "to jump for joy."


This kind of rejoicing is a verb, not a simple state of being.

Not a sedate emotion settled into our heart.

No, it is active, moving, reactive....DOING SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to show on the outside what you are feeling on the inside.

And, I'm wondering, because I was convicted...How much celebration is taking place in your quarantine-home? 

What a great time to get creative and celebrate....

BUT, 

WHAT?

What do we celebrate?

(my simple illustration of Habakkuk's passage)

Habakkuk bridges the great divide that comes between the "even though's...." and the "Yet..." of celebration...

He gives specific instructions about what to celebrate (and, it's not stumbling on toilet paper in the City Market six weeks after initial quarantine).

He zeroes in on the what in verse 19:

The Lord, my Lord, is my strength.
He makes my feet like deers feet, and,
He leads me to mountain heights!

His bridge is built of praises to the Lord!

He builds his bridge on gratitude, on ways the Lord has helped him in the past, in reflecting on God (hmmm.....didn't we talk about this before? Yes! Yes, we did! Can't say it enough!!!)

Here, he remembers when God empowered him once to do the impossible - to climb to rugged heights (see the NET translation) - and because he has history with God, he knows he can face the "even though" of the future.

And, when he recalls all this to mind...

He doesn't just go, "Ok...whatever...."

He shouts, "OK...bring it....now, let's celebrate what you're going to do for me during that time, while I still can..."

How do you celebrate, Jesus?

We talked about this on Zoom as a group...
...worship, parties complete with balloons, food (lots of it and all the kinds we love), a special meal, lists of thanksgiving, art expressions, dancing, play....but almost all of us agreed, as a part of the celebration, we verbalize gratitude...

How will you remember God and CELEBRATE in the RIGHT-NOW?????????????

There's no better time!

Let's all make it a spiritual discipline this week.



(...and, send me some pictures)

#####

P.S. This was a quote I loved from the retreat and pondered all week:



I would also add..."against insecurity, worry, anxiety, fear, panic, and terror..."



No comments:

Post a Comment