Thursday, August 17, 2023

The Best Laid Plans That Go Awry...Just Might Be God's Plans, After All

Ever had a day that just didn't turn out at all what you expected?

As I'm typing this entry for the next blog, that's the kind of day I've experienced. 

From wake up til right now, it's all gone south. 

Some days are like that.

I could certainly be discouraged and frustrated, because it has meant that what I hoped to accomplish on the day's agenda did not happen (except maybe this post - 🤔)...

Meanwhile, my husband is telling me that he thinks he's about two-weeks ahead of schedule (a little inside joke)...

I'm not laughing.

But, I do have this one practice at the end of every day that often changes everything...

....and, yes, it did this one!

This "practice" is an improvised version of an ancient spiritual discipline (one that encourages looking back and evaluating the day for the benefit of "carpe diem" (seizing the day; making the most of the present and giving thought toward tomorrow). 

In my variation of the practice of Examen, I begin with review.

First, what went well in my walk with Jesus and for what am I grateful (I look for at least three things for which to be thankful)?

Secondly, how can I do better tomorrow (can I redeem today by learning from it for the future's sake)?

Finally, where did I see the Lord; hear His voice; sense His smile; or became aware of His presence?

That's what I just finished doing; and, here's the value: 

Today didn't look like what I intended, but it was exactly the day the Lord wanted me to have. 

In spite of not ticking things off my to-do-list or life going according to plan, today held some very sweet moments; some lovely, spontaneous, meaningful connections with dear friends; a random, well-timed verse of Scripture that spoke volumes to my heart; and, a vacation-in-a-cup (coffee) on the back porch in my hammock-chair, while simply reflecting on what was great about this mixed-up, perfect day. 

So, here is this very brief offering to simply say what I just did.

You may be having one of these kinds of days.

It's no mistake!

And, it's going exactly as the Lord planned it to go (especially if everything about the day is out of your control, as mine has been). 

How do I know?

Here's the random verse that popped out of nowhere into my thoughts and, as it floated around, I grabbed onto it for all it is worth:


I can plan all I want. 

I can fill out to-do-lists, time-management worksheets, and long-term goal-planning outlines, but...
...there is NOTHING I can do about long lines out the door of the post office or road construction.

There's nothing I can do about the grocery store being out of a needed ingredient for a company dinner, and going to two other spots before I found what I needed.

There's nothing I could do about a problem that arose with my credit card, or the time it took to sort it out.

And, I had to take the time for an immediate approval needed on an itinerary change for an upcoming overseas trip. 

AND YET...in the midst of it all: I read a convicting chapter on God's love in a great book while waiting on road construction (and the Lord spoke!); I enjoyed conversation in line at the post office with friends I'd not seen in a long time; discovered such a thing exists as friendly customer service; and, I am one step closer to the women's retreat in Greece where I'll be speaking (coming up fast in October). 

So, if you're having ONE OF THOSE DAYS that aren't going quite as planned, well, look for what HIS PLAN might be instead!

You could be surprised that you've had a absolutely perfect day after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment