Thursday, October 5, 2023

Lessons from a Long-Ago-Planned-Trip to Prince Edward Island

 

Every time I flip a calendar to the month of October, I can't help but think of LM Montgomery's famous line from Anne of Green Gables: "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

It always makes me smile.

I love October...and, we live in a world where October shows off EvErY (!) yEaR (!).


Yet the smile isn't just from the memory of a single quote. 

We raised an Anne of Green Gables girl.

Our youngest daughter arrived in our home with an Anne-like-style for drama and flair, love of words and books, and, a wonder and appreciation for life.

There was no question in our minds that one day we would take her to visit the land of Anne, Prince Edward Island, strategically placed above Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, Canada.


..and, so, it turned out that during her freshman year of college (as a high school graduation gift), Bay arranged for us to travel to PEI from Phoenix: he gave us miles to use for our airline ticket, and co-ordinated with friends who lived on the island a place to stay. The date was set! 

As you can imagine, our excitement held no bounds. 

We researched all the things we wanted to see, we planned, we set an itinerary...

As the time drew close, I packed my carry-on-bag, and drove from Pagosa to Phoenix, where we'd catch our flight out of Sky Harbor directly into Charlottetown.

The day arrived and we showed up at the airport the required two hours early for check-in.

All seemed smooth sailing, until the gal behind the counter asked me for my passport. 

Huh? Passport? 

Ruh-roh! My passport was back at home.

I'd just been to Canada two months prior to speak at a women's event in Toronto, I didn't NEED MY PASSPORT, only my driver's license!

I explained this to the agent (thinking she'd give me a pass without a pass-port), but the rules changed about a month before and she swore that a notification had been emailed.

Now everyone (including "moi") who wanted to enter Canada MUST HAVE a passport. 

I begged, pleaded, wanted to throw-up...but, there was no way they'd let me on that plane.

It became quite clear - I was not going to Prince Edward Island.

I was without excuse.

Mandy had her passport. She could have gone on without me, but didn't want to do a solo trip.  We were "in this" together...

So, together, we left the airport, as Anne would have said, "in the depths of despair."


Mom fail!

My worst mom fail! 

I had great intentions; but I'd focused so much on the destination that I really forgot about the journey. 

We do this spiritually speaking, as well, don't we? 

Sometimes our sights are so set on where we want to be (whether it's a goal in front of us, or our heavenly home) that we forget to look deeply into the steps we need to take to get where we are going,

We know what we want...we just don't pay attention to the details along the way. 

And, when we don't pay attention to the steps along the way, it's easy to get off course (or not make your flight)... 😑

It's amazing to me (I know because I've been looking) at the number of verses in Scripture that talk bout the steps we take, the path we are on, the way we take, our journey forward... Hundreds!

The journey we are on matters.

The path we take matters.

The direction we go makes a difference when it comes to our desired destination. 

Every step needs to be intentional. 

Every decision needs to be weighed out. 

I've gotten stuck on this verse this week:

"Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure (ESV, Proverbs 4:26)."


The direction we take is critical when it comes to our destination. 
And every decision impacts our direction...

Our intentions may be filled with anticipation; we may have even researched, planned, and written an itinerary...

But, if we aren't taking heed to the steps along the way, we'll not be prepared and ready when we get to the "gate." 

If we aren't watching for the emails (the written WORD) that will give us the instructions, we'll not make it far on the journey. 

We can't just know all about the end of the road, we must give careful thought to our feet... 

Looking ahead for obstacles that might cause us to stumble or trap us...

Watching for distractions that might cause us to wander off into dangerous territory...

Seeing the pitfalls ahead that we might avoid them...

Most of all, we should always travel with a COMPANION (and, even a "companion") who is on the journey with us...one is for you...giving aid along the way and words of wisdom...

There are a lot of helpful hints in Scripture, especially in the book of Proverbs, about our journey heavenward. Some are warnings. Some are beautiful pointers that will help us make the most of every day we spend on the road... And, some are promises - extra special gifts along the way, if/when we take ownership of them!

The point of all this:  

Don't just focus on your destination and get stuck before you ever get very far on the journey. Good intentions get you nowhere...

XXXXX

Good news:  

About 6 years ago, I finally got to Prince Edward Island. 

Not with just one daughter, but with two.



It was a trip of a lifetime, enjoying sweet memories I will forever hold in my heart of time with my sweet girls. 

And, this time, I was ready for the journey - passport in hand - watching and enjoying every step we took all over the birthplace of LM Montgomery and her Anne of Green Gables.

PS. A special thank you to Lorne and Lorraine MacKenzie, who made our ultimate trip to Prince Edward Island and all-things-Anne-of-Greene-Gables most WoNdErFuL! You are the BEST! We love you still. 

No comments:

Post a Comment