Wednesday, December 6, 2023

When God's Voice is Silent: A Psalm

Last week I looked at the voices that we sometimes listen to, which will steal away our joy, sure as anything! 

Then, I began digging into Psalm 13.

Even King David, a man after God's own heart, struggled with voices that robbed him of "life to the full," right into deep despair...where he even wondered if life was worth living. 

I love the relevancy of Scriptures. 

Here is Psalm 13, all 6 verses, printed out for you.

How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?

How long will you hide your face from me?

How long must I take counsel in my soul

and have sorrow in my heart all the day?

How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;

light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,

lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”

lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.

But I have trusted in your steadfast love;

my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

I will sing to the LORD,

because he has dealt bountifully with me.

This psalm was probably written as David ran from King Saul, hiding in caves, scrounging for food, his only friends, scoundrels. 

David listened to the voice of his enemies.

His foes are insolent and gloating.

They make up stories about him, all lies (Ps. 7) and make his life utterly miserable (Ps 10). 

It's obvious David has tried to figure out a way to end the running, but nothing he has tried to date has worked.

So, he lives with anxiety and sorrow.

His hope is dissipating.

His joy is just about gone; and, there is no peace to be found in his soul.

His faith (as expressed by the metaphor about "no light in his eyes") is weak.

Hmmm....sounds like last week's blog in a very poetic form.

David shows us, however, how to get right back on track...

In the first two verses, he laments.

He goes to the throne of his very personal God, and cries out his complaints.

God is OK with that and gives us permission to do so.

He asks God, "How long?" 

We want to ask that, too, sometimes...

David doesn't really want an answer, not even an explanation, he is simply venting.

Lament allows us to vent in a very safe place...God's presence.

His cries stir his prayers (verses 3-4).

So should ours.

He tells God what He really needs (which is exactly what we need):

  • Comfort.
  • Joy.
  • Encouragement.
  • Soul-revival.
  • God's voice in David's ears.

Then, all of a sudden, somehow, someway, God gives David a "but" - His still small voice whispers in David's soul, and DAVID HEARS GOD'S VOICE. 

David is reminded of God's mercy, His lovingkindness, His covenant promises (all wrapped up in two English words: steadfast love; one Hebrew word: hesed).

David is reminded of God's answered prayers in the past ---- God's faithfulness and the bountiful way God has dealt with him.

And...now, David's doubts are turned to trust; and he begins to sing songs of rejoicing. 

I love how David sings his way through sorrow and suffering, teaching us to do the same.

When voices of trial try to steal away our hope, joy, and peace...sing all the louder!

Raise some hallelujah's...


Now, lean into the Lord to hear His voice of comfort, restoring light to your eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment