Thursday, May 2, 2024

REJOICE AND BE REASONABLE.


Monday swept into our lives like water rushing through broken pipes underground....and, actually that was (literally) part of the problem. 

The fact it was Monday, following a weekend of being away speaking at a women's retreat, should have been enough in itself.

A lot needed to be accomplished in this new week before I leave again over the coming weekend.

However, not to be outdone by the length of my to-do-list, Monday brought with her all manner of issues...

...the WORST ONE being that a water line broke and, to prevent flooding, we turned off the water to all the homes on our family's property (although I don't want to minimize the fact I nearly burned the house down forgetting cauliflower cooking on the stove).  

🙄

This day's list necessitated WATER, with the need to "cook ahead" in order to freeze meals for dear Bay (who still needs to eat while I'm gone the next three weeks), a sink filled with dirty dishes (from having been away), dirty clothes to launder, and a house to clean.

Now my day also required a run to town to buy some extra gallons of water to have on hand for flushing toilets, filling the water well on the coffee maker (obviously, some things never get sacrificed), and random other arising needs. 

A whole slough of additional "to do's" hit my list that became "trials" threatening to rob my joy.

My dear assistant, Allison commiserated.

She, too, had just gotten home from a family funeral, and woke this same Monday, to all kinds of issues, including dog messes all about her house and a credit card scam.

My household concerns probably seemed quite illegitimate in comparison; yet, she jumped in with both feet to help where she could.

I assigned her the task of calling 811 to alert all utilities services, and so they could come out to identify lines that might get in the way of digging up the broken pipes for repair. 

We didn't need an electrical outage along with the zero water.

Allison's sweet temperament handles things like this far better than mine.

Had I been on the phone with the woman asking the kazillion technical questions and promising we'd not see a service provider until WEDNESDAY, well, patience and gentleness might not have defined me. 

I know this about me. 

1) I'm not a fan of talking on the phone.

2) I have no sweet spirit when someone seems to be wasting my time, and they are contrary to my will.

3) Let's face it, FORBEARANCE is not my middle name. 

So, as I worked on other things, like clearing away the burnt-to-a-crisp-cauliflower, Allison quietly answered the questions, merely raising her eyebrows at the not-acceptable-time-frame, while gently advocating on our behalf. 

Internally, awe took over as I listened to the conversation develop, and before she ended the call, the service provider called my husband saying she'd arrive in 20-minutes. 

I certainly applauded my decision o have her make that call. 👏👏

Were I on the phone, we'd be well into May before they came in response to my un-gentle approach.

🙄

So, this morning, as I'm reading Philippians 4, yet another conviction overwhelmed my soul.

Of course, I know I'm not experiencing persecution like the church to whom Paul wrote.

My "trials" are merely little and annoying; these folks experienced persecution and suffering. 

However, the words the apostle admonished, I FIND I, also, NEED as a huge dose of application.

He says to them:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.

Let your gentleness (reasonableness, kindness, gruntle-ness, mildness) be KNOWN TO ALL.

The Lord is at hand...

Philippians 4:4-5

EVEN WHEN...

"Rejoice and be reasonable." 

In fact, make certain every person you come in contact with recognizes these character traits in you, even if they are the ones to heap hardship upon hardship.

You see, even the "gods" of the Greco-Roman world were known for their gentle forbearance, according to the NICNT/NICOT (commentary on Philippians) written by Gordon Fee.

So, of course, the people of God should be even more so.  

"THIS SHOULD BE THE DISPOSITION OF ALL GOD'S PEOPLE - and, this toward all people, especially, those who make life miserable for us."

PEG FORREST IS NOT EXEMPT - no special dispensation, here.

In doing so, we imitate Christ:

Why? 

Paul's reasoning is interesting:  

The Lord is near.

Paul could mean one of two things, or perhaps a double entendre.

The Lord is ever close.

His presence always with us to empower us, encourage, exhort, and strengthen....

Paul's words are reminiscent of David's:

The second meaning is more eschatological in thought.

Even back then, the possibility that our Savior could appear at any moment crossed their minds frequently...

...and, we are closer than ever.

Of course, as you are reading this, He could appear.

What a thought...

For them it meant a release from the trials of the world.

For us it means the same - and, goodness - don't we relish the day when all things will be made right?!?

Yet, it adds another thought for me, especially.

How do I want to be found when the Lord appears?

Grumbling and griping because of the circumstances, or rejoicing and living out grace, love, generosity, patience and kindness with a gentle/reasonable spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment