Thursday, September 19, 2024

Broken and Still Useful

Shortly after Bay and I first moved to Pagosa Springs, we joined a small group Bible Study with younger married couples our age.

One night, a question came up that required us to think through a response to the following question, and bring the answer the next week.

If you could choose what went on your grave marker before you died, what would you want it to say? 

(cemetery located on an old homestead I walked past in Montana last weekend while on retreat)

That question is slightly reminiscent of the one that spurred a blog post on tattoos (here).

It also calls to mind a post I read not too long ago called "headstone humor." You'll find some pretty funny ones clicking on this link. 

I took the assignment seriously, though, and it took me almost the whole week to come up with mine.


(the beautiful, old homestead)

As it was, I was reading Paul's letters to Timothy for my quiet time, and when I got to 2 Timothy 2:21, I stopped my perusal and began pondering.

Something about that verse resonated within my soul and that verse has been my go-to-answer since then...and, yes, I'm sticking with it.

My prayer is that I would be worthy of the words -

Here's how it reads in the ESV (but the way the verse is written, I have to include the previous passage):

Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master...ready for every good work.

It's the second part of that verse, I want emphasized: a vessel of honor, set apart as holy, useful to the Master, and ready for every good work.  

I like old things, as last week's post revealed.

(farming equipment on the homestead property)

I especially like old things repurposed. 

That's been on my mind for a couple weeks.

Maybe I like them, because this vessel, which houses my soul, is getting older. 

Like some of the things that we've reclaimed (and consecrated), I'm a bit worse for the wear. 

Dents and dings. Weak and worn. Scarred, sore, and stiff. Bruised and a bit broken from the storms of life, which can unmercifully batter us. 

This hasn't changed my desire to still be a useful vessel...

...ALTHOUGH, here's what struck me, this past weekend. 

I'm in the process of studying the life of John the Baptist: "what is it about the man that caused his cousin, Jesus, to say, "Just what did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? A man dressed in soft clothing? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than... Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist...(Matthew 11:7-11a)"

The retreat series I'm writing, based on his life, will be titled "Who Are You?" for you and I have much to learn about our identity in Christ and our PURPOSE in life from this unique, mysterious, feisty, and, yes, broken man. 

We also have this potential that arises from the promise Jesus spoke that, "even the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven (could that be moi?) is greater than he (Matthew 112:11b)."

How can that be? 

The Light of the World, who dwells in us, actually shines brighter through broken and battered vessels.

When I go to speak, I certainly don't want my audience to look at the vessel, I want them to see what is inside the vessel: the power of the Holy Spirit at work through me.

When I go to speak, like John the Baptist, I want to simply identify myself by these two words, when asked "Who Are You?"

A VOICE.

No one ever sees a voice.

We only hear the voice. 

Like John, that is my desire.

To carry the voice in this vessel, shining His Light through the broken cracks, and bringing Him glory.

So, I've improvised my prayer to ask: Sweet Lord, may I be a USEFUL VOICE housed in a VESSEL OF HONOR (even if it is dented and dinged; weak and worn; scarred, sore and stiff; bruised and broken....) set apart, holy, prepared for every good work. 

Any voice, in any vessel, has great purpose when used for His glory.


3 comments:

  1. Ahhh!!! This points us towards becoming a “Wife of Noble Character”! Prov 30-31 wow thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always- I needed this just now my friend!! My vessel is a little extra broken up but I am experiencing great peace in what He is able and willing to do with it and from it if I submit. It’s a daily resubmission but I am living this part of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Peggy!!
    How I identify and appreciate this devonal.
    Next time we're together, remind me to relay the story of my recently broken cello and how God spoke to me mightily through the horrifying experience ❣️

    ReplyDelete