Just an image.
A statue.
A likeness erected by a man who desired control.
Power.
Authority.
Sovereignty.
Greatness.
Influence.
A following.
No, more than a following -
Worshippers.
But, worship didn’t come as easily,
As quickly,
As readily,
Or as heartfelt,
As Nebuchadnezzar would have liked.
So, it became a law…
…a command.
Bow the knee…
Worship my image…
Or, else.
You are commanded, O peoples, nations, and languages, that when you hear the sound ...you are to fall down and worship the golden image that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up. And whoever does not fall down and worship shall immediately be cast into a burning fiery furnace.
Daniel 3:4-6
Pride does that.
It seeks admiration.
Agreement.
Applause.
Submission.
Validation
Relevance.
Success.
So, it builds an image of itself.
Look at me.
Look to me.
Listen to me.
I have it right.
Fall in line.
Bow the knee.
Worship my image.
And, now I’m pondering.
How am I a Nebuchadnezzar?
What image am I building?
What do I want others to see?
Where am I quietly saying,
Look at me…
Notice me.
Agree with me.
Follow me.
I have it right.
But, You, O God, are a jealous God.
You will not share your glory with another.
You love us too much to let our idols stay standing.
So, you point us back to Nebuchadnezzar.
a man who looked over everything he had built and declared,
Look what I have done!
Then, because You wanted his whole heart,
You humbled him.
Until his eyes were lifted toward heaven.
Until he finally understood:
The Most High rules.
Perhaps that is the invitation for me as well.
Stop building the image.
Stop protecting the image.
Stop asking others to admire the image.
Lift my eyes toward heaven.
Humble myself.
Bow my knee.
And remember—
There is only One King.
Only One sovereign Lord.
Only One worthy of glory.
You alone, O God, are worthy of worship.



No comments:
Post a Comment