Monday, March 26, 2012

Giving Thanks in Life

But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ….
(2 Cor. 2:14a)


Last week we began exploring the different arenas for which we have cause to give thanks and we discovered the first road of thanks led us to “death.”  Exploring another avenue, we discover another category of victory, and the motivation behind the gratitude is that God, in Christ, ALWAYS leads us to triumph.  I find myself asking this question often:  Really? ALWAYS?   While last week we discovered victory over the grave, this week God graciously offers us consistent victory on the journey of life.  I sit here exploring this statement of fact thinking I haven’t ever fully capitalized on this promise.

I know a lot of folks looking for triumph.  I am one of them.  Over the years I’ve come to realize that I’ve often wished for a magic wand that would accomplish the “win” quickly without the work.  This passage assures me the win will come, but it’s a process of following Jesus to get there.

A little over a week ago, while on a trip to South Africa, I woke one morning following a series of three very haunting dreams.  I won’t go into detail, other than to say, each of these dreams led me to a realization about parts of my life with which I continually wrestle: fear (especially of the unknown), placing too high of expectations on others, an inability to “let go” and give God room to work, and anger.  Then I read the above passage.  Give thanks – right now.  Even though the victory hasn’t been delivered, it’s assured.  God faithfully and always comes through to bring us the win.  There’s one other key to finding personal triumph (besides thanksgiving):  follow the leader. 

I appreciate the fact that the Lord leads the way.   Since he’s out in front, he takes the brunt of the battle.  He takes the initial blows, where the fight is the most brutal, and the bloodiest. He wars against the very things we fight against – our own nature and the unseen world (see Colossians 2:15).  In fact, he’s already made the charge and prepared the way.  I just follow his lead – walk in his steps – and submit to his direction.  If I give him that place of authority, and quit trying to charge ahead in front of him, I have a guarantee of victory over the things I struggle with the most.

What a promise!  What grace! 
Yes – overwhelming gratitude:  for the win and the warrior!


1 comment:

  1. Peg, so grateful for your writing.

    I have found one of the challenges in this is that I can strive more for the "win" than the One who provides the win. By this I mean, I try to define what the win will look like. How it will provide encouragement or convenience, or blessing for someone else. And yet I have come to realize that in all of those, my desire is stronger for myself - regardless of how well intentioned my desire for victory may be.

    Paul writes in Romans 9:21, "Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?" Should I then look to define the "win" or trust more to the One who loves me and gave his life for me?

    I am reminded constantly of this as I pray for my daughter who is less than two weeks away from heading into the mission field for two years. How do I define win? I have joy that she is following our Lord's leading. I have temporary sorrow in not being with her for the next two years. I have joy in that she will grow tremendously through the struggles over the next two years. I have sorrow in that she will have pain and struggles over the next two years.

    But to dictate the outcome is to place myself back in the center of the equation. And I don't get that right.

    Trusting in His sovereignty and grace, and looking for the ultimate win when we stand before Him.

    And loving you for your intimate transparency.

    ReplyDelete