Monday, March 12, 2012

This Do in Remembrance

We can’t talk about entering into communion with the Lord without at least turning to the New Testament accounts, Jesus’ own word’s and Paul’s writing regarding the Eucharist.  There are three statements that stand out (well, to me, at least0.

On the night Jesus served the Passover meal with his disciples, he said, “I greatly/earnestly desire to eat this...before I suffer.”

Paul’s words, “On the night in which he was betrayed…he gave thanks…” 

Then Jesus broke the bread and offered the cup and said, “Do this in remembrance of me.” 

I am struck by the intentionality of Jesus instituting a ceremony of thanksgiving in lieu of what he knew would follow.  God, the Son, fully understood what was about to happen: the fulfillment of the Passover, the final slaughter and sacrifice of the Lamb of God whose blood would cover the sin of our homes (hearts) one last time for all time.  Here’s what our Savior was giving thanks for in the midst of that moment:
God on trial
Rejection and betrayal
Humiliation
Beatings
Scorn and mocking
Sneers and derision
Spit
Crown of thorns
The weight of sin he would carry
Condemnation and crucifixion
His own Father turning his back on his only Son
Helplessly watching his own mother’s suffering
Weakness
Hopelessness
Broken heart
Wrestling of acceptance to final resignation
Entombment
Facing hell in the face

He received the gift – the black box with the black bow of grimness – with thanks!  I know my heart – a little annoyance and I complain; a little frustration and I whine; a bit of rejection and I’m angry…  But, in the stillness of my heart, if I really stop to listen, I hear these words crying out:  “This do in remembrance of me.”  This what?  Give thanks.  Live thanks…and commune.  This do – and rise above!  This do – and be well!


No comments:

Post a Comment