Monday, March 4, 2013

The Case Against Merit-Mongering

I ran across an odd phrase while perusing the dictionary (I know, I’m a nerd...I’m OK with that).  Ever heard the term “merit-monger?”  If so, you either lived (which I highly doubt), or have read literature coming from the sixteenth century.  It hung around for about a hundred years and then descended into obliteration around 1828.  We may need to revive it here in this century.  I’d like to say, “I aren’t”…but...I fear…I am.  If the cliché is true that it “takes one to know one,” then I come across others like me on a regular basis, too.

Here’s how merit-mongering works – I’ll make it personal.  Over the past several years I have spent significant time, energy, and money investing in the development of a particular program.  If you and I were to sit down and chat, I could tell you every thing I’ve ever done to contribute to its success.  I can also tell you every hindrance and hurdle that, in spite of all my good efforts, has caused this “baby” to not get off the ground.  I can go through the inventory quite effectively, and make a good case for my project.  By the time I am through, you would agree with me, that my undertaking is worthy of consideration; should not be overlooked; and, in fact, you would recognize, with me, that I have a right to be credited, if not greatly rewarded for my efforts.  Not only would you think I deserved to be compensated; but you’d also be indignant that I wasn’t!  Merit-mongerers know how to make a case for themselves…

Don’t we all do this to a certain degree?  It may not be a project.  It might be a job.  It could be found in a class we’re taking, or the child that we’re raising.  It can be found in our marriages, in our friendships, in the way we think about life, in general.  We maintain a mental two-column list.  On one side is the do-good list, the other side just doesn’t happen to be the do-bad list, but the done-bad-against-me-list.  Both lists prove my point: I deserve _________________ (you fill in the blank).  I have a right to ____________________.  I’ve earned the credit for____________________.  I am worthy of being treated with ________________________.  The whole concept of “merit-mongering” falls under a category of justice. We want to believe that there is a valid principle of fairness, satisfaction received, and reward justly handed out to the “deserving.”  When it doesn’t happen, and we turn up empty-handed, we get angry, upset, discouraged, and depressed.  After all, “I had a right to…” 

Here are some of the well-deserved, merit-mongering rights I hear myself saying, as I do others:
I deserve to be treated with respect (“What am I chopped liver?”)…

I deserve to be loved (“Everyone should love me as much as I love myself;” I think it, even if I would never dare say it)…

I deserve to be happy (“After all I have put up with, isn’t it time?")…

I have a right to be married (“God, didn’t you say it wasn’t good for man to be alone?”)…

I deserve to make the same amount of money (“Whatever happened to impartiality and equality? Why should you get more than me?”)…

I have a right to be compensated (“Look at all the effort I made!”)...

The desire to demand my rights came out of my 1970’s past, and has cemented itself into my current Christian culture...yours, too (just maybe not connected to the 70's).  But, as I have been reading through and studying the book of Romans, I catch the current of a different tide; and, as I ride the wave to shore I see a bonfire and an altar.  Then, I hear these words, “I urge you, my beloved, in view of God’s mercy, to present yourself...this is your spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1).”  As long as I think I “deserve” or “demand one right or another” I will stay trapped in a cycle of defeat.  I will never experience true joy.  I will never be fulfilled in worship.  I will always be on a spiritual and emotional roller coaster.  The only way out is off.  The way off is to yield. 

Jesus showed us “the way.”  “I came down from heaven, not to do my will, but the will of the one who sent me (John 6:38).”  The writer of Hebrews said it, too:  “Here I am...I am come to do your will, my God (Hebrews 10:7).”

Last week, I mentioned that I would expound on the other reason I needed to swim around in the darkness of Romans 1, 2, and 3.  I'm going to put that off for one more week, because, actually, it has a lot to do with merit-mongering...

Thanks for hanging in there with me.






No comments:

Post a Comment