Monday, September 2, 2013

Jesus-Follower, 2 (or, I Don't Want to Be A Christian Anymore)


Well, I got myself in a small-measure of trouble over last week’s blog entry on “not wanting to be a Christian anymore.”  That’s OK.  I do welcome the opportunity, and think it’s good, as well as, healthy, to wrestle with the question, “Did I mean what I said?”  Before answering that question, I have to say, I was surprised that this little controversy didn’t bother me.  There was a time when it would have.  It really had nothing to do with the fact that the words came from a sister-in-Christ that I didn’t know, because that would have still been traumatic.  I believe it’s a testimony of two things:

1.  How far the Lord has brought me on my identity-journey.  Obviously, it’s his doing and I’ve played no role.  He’s been at work in me for sometime, reminding me who I am in Him, and it’s translated into a renewed confidence, and, yes, maybe a little courage.

2.  I’ve said the very same things this dear sister has, who is tired of feeling like she has to tiptoe around what words she can and can’t use in “Christianese.”  I know folks (whom I love), who are “rubbed wrong” by certain words we use regularly.  I’m not one who is big on “banning” particular words from my Christian-vocab.  In fact, Paul tells us to avoid foolish controversy, senseless arguments, and divisions.  So, this is not my purpose in not wanting to be called “Christian” anymore, but rather a Jesus-follower.  So, allow me the opportunity to explain a bit better (sorry this is long).

After my unknown-to-me sister challenged my thinking, I went back to Matthew, and referenced the calling of Jesus’ disciples a little further into the book, when our Savior called Matthew (this is found in chapter 9:9-17).  Too much to print, so please go read it here: Matthew 9:9-17.

No one could explain Matthew’s calling.  Note: there were “tax collectors” and there were “sinners.”  Two categories of scum-of-the-earth.  Matthew was the worst of the worst.  He was “unrighteous” and “sick.”  He was despised, corrupt, a traitor to his people, and, on top of that, a thief.  He was a tax-collector.  No righteous Jew would hang around a sinner, let alone a tax-collector (say that word with particular contempt).  Yet, Jesus saw some kind of follower-potential, and he didn’t just ask Matthew to follow him, He demanded it (take note of the exclamation mark: Follow me!).  Matthew rose and followed.

Here’s where it gets particularly interesting.  Where did Jesus take him?  Not to church.  Not to the river to be baptized.  Not to make right his wrongs. Not to serve in a soup kitchen.  Nope.  Jesus takes him home, and invites his friends to come along.   Jesus took Matthew to the most comfortable place Matthew knew.  The religious Jews were shocked!  They couldn’t believe their eyes, or their ears!  So, they apparently wanted to see more.  They hung around outside Matthew's home.  Why?  Were they hoping Jesus would tear it to pieces in his righteous anger?  Maybe they were hoping Jesus would start parceling out all the stuff that Matthew owned, after all he got that stuff by stealing money from them!  Again, Jesus did the unexpected and the unexplained.  He sat down and ate with them all.

This caused no small stir among the righteous religious of the day.  Some of Jesus disciples were outside among them.  Crowd control? Maybe…  So, the Jewish leaders started asking them all their questions.  Fortunately, and apparently, Jesus heard them, and came out to answer.  Here’s basically what he tells them:
1.  You’ve got some learnin’ to do.  You know what Hosea told you about God, “I desire compassion not sacrifice…”  Go and transfer this knowledge from your head to your heart, then come back.  “I came for sinners, not the righteous; the sick, not the healthy."

2.  Think on this:  “no one puts new wine into old wineskins…”

What does that mean?  It’s so critical to the C-word-controversy:  A Jesus-follower is, first and foremost, about relationships (with Jesus and others) and not religion.  Religion is about doing.  Being a Christian has become about religion, and at that, a religion that is not measuring up to expectations.  It’s become about what I’m against, and how I behave (or don’t behave), rather than what I’m for and who I am.  So, I want to be a follower.  I want tax-collectors and sinners to see me as a Jesus-learner, a becomer-in-process, as I walk in His footsteps (or try to), and attempt to follow his example.  I want them to see me as compassionate, loving the unexpected and the unexplained.  I don’t want my life to be about my hypocrisy – because I will never measure up to expectations until ONE-DAY IN ETERNITY.

What does the teaching about wineskins have to do with anything?  Jesus was presenting the righteous religious with a paradigm shift…a “new thing.”  In essence he’s saying, “Here’s a new idea for ya, and you can’t put it into any old categories, because it’s too big and too important.  Religion is obsolete.  Religion and doing and behavior is on the way out; but loving God and loving others, that’s where your focus should go.”

Yes, I still want to be a Jesus-follower, but not, necessarily a Christian.    

No comments:

Post a Comment