Monday, September 23, 2013

Other Thoughts on Sacrificial Giving (Warning: PG-Rated)

Caution.  The following is a hard teaching.  It will feel like an attack.  It might even make you a bit angry.  Yet, Jesus-Followers practice secret-sacrificial-giving, and if we want to walk as he walked, this is part of Jesus' teaching.

If, I've heard my husband say it once, he's made this following statement multiple times (for those who don't know my guy, he is a prophet, a truth-teller, by spiritual gift).  Giving is very easy for him, because he believes this statement (wait for it!).  Over the course of this week, I've probably heard him repeat this truth at least twice: I consider a pastor who won't preach on tithing (and giving) one who is involved in flock abuse.  Did I hear the collective sound of jaws dropping?  I know!  Right?  By nature I'm an encourager (that's probably the Lord's sense-of-humor showing as he brought us together).  I prefer softening things to make them a little more palatable.  He just puts it out there as he sees it. So, there it is...  Yet, there's probably another couple of passages on giving we need to dive into, and the first is the one where my husband has developed this truth (and, for the record, I believe that he is right on target).  He's also not one who is afraid to teach the principle of secret-sacrificial-giving.

I encourage reading the entire last book of the Old Testament, but the main portion of Scripture we'll look at is this (we've all read it before in Malachi 3:8-11).  The Lord, Himself, is speaking:
Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, "How have we robbed You?" In tithes and offerings.  You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you! Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, and test Me now in this...if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.  Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so it may not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes...

Here's why avoiding talking about giving is spiritually abusive:
1)  Our fear of not pleasing the people (and talking about someone's money is NEVER a pleasant talk, it is just so.................................private and personal) by discussing tithes and offerings will be a root cause of their failure to be blessed.

See it, there in the middle...  God says, "Test me!"  In fact, the Hebrew word is "bachan" and literally means, put me on trial to examine me.  It's a challenge to us to prove his promise is reliable.  You can't out-give your God.  As you give generously, he gives right back in generous provision.  Maybe not how you expect, but if the eyes of your heart are open, you'll see it in numerous and unexplainable ways.  The windows of heaven will open, and God, himself, will pour out blessings overflowing.  You won't be able to count the blessing!

2)  Not only do we prevent the blessing, we allow the devourer to be unleashed.  In our world, the word rebuke means to criticize, or sharply address another person. However, in the original language, the word meant to "force back, to beat or to cut down, to repress."  As we give generously and sacrificially, the Lord represses and forces back the one who would destructively consume those things which keep life running smoothly and bring provision.  It might not be our gardens that are consumed, though that's still possible.  Instead it could be a car that needs extensive repairs, refrigerators that go out, unexpected dental bills....the list is endless.  Now, please, don't think I'm saying that all of the mishaps in life are related to God's unleashing of the devourer - not so.  I'm just saying, this can be a cause and with all things in life, we need to stop and evaluate...

This brings me to the second passage of Scripture.  Ever wondered how Paul could write the words about "hilarious, joy-filled giving" (2 Cor. 9:7) and that is "more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35)?  I think I am beginning to get it:  When we give generously and see the long-arm-of-God reach down in blessing, it causes us to be filled with gladness in giving.  We can't wait to see what his response is going to be! Why in the world would we give grudgingly or under compulsion?

But...sometimes, it is just, oh, so hard. I know!  Come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment