Monday, January 25, 2016

Church 101

Growing up, church was always a place. We went to church. It was a cute church (see picture here). Little in size and small in number. It was always the same (or so it seemed to me at the time). Liturgical. Rote. Comfortable. I knew what to expect, and who to expect to be there. However, as I’ve gotten older, I definitely know that church is NOT a place; and, I wish I’d known this truth a lot sooner. For whatever reason, children (who are great observers, but terrible interpreters) tend not to understand this, and because they don’t (this is an opinion), we are losing them by the time they are able to make a decision for themselves.

If church isn’t a place, then what is it? You may want to skip this blog, because it is Church 101. Yet sometimes, the most elementary of principles are the ones for which we need a refresher course. Simply put, church is you. Church is me. I can’t go to church, because I am the church. 

Let’s be a little more technical.  In the Old Testament, The Lord came and dwelt among the people in a Tabernacle. Now, He tabernacles in us as individuals. His Spirit lives in His believers. The minute we saw our need for a Savior, called out to Him in our distress, God rescued us, planted our feet on a ROCK, and placed His Spirit inside of us for the purpose of empowerment. He calls us His ekklesia (church), though, in the New Testament, and not His miskan (tabernacle | dwelling). 

Here’s what that means. The Greek word for church, transliterated ekklesia, is comprised of two compound words: Out + Called (usually, by name) = Called out. I have been personally called out. You, as well. That just does something to me. Something quite special. It reminds me of standing in line during those early P.E. years, waiting for my name to be called to be a part of a team…and waiting…and waiting…and waiting… I wasn’t much of an athlete. I wasn’t wanted as much as the real athletes. However, with the Lord, it doesn’t matter how athletic I am, or even how bright, or good looking, or rich…He just wants me, for myself to be a part of something BIG. Yes, it’s a team of sorts.

There’s still more. Attached to the second compound word is this definition: to be called to bear a name or a title among men. I have been called by name to bear a name. Of course, that name is Jesus, the Christ. In the little town of Antioch, the people attached a title to the name: Christian, meaning a little Christ. When I am the church, it is obvious to others in my community. Whether I tell people or not, they see Jesus, and just know I am ekklesia. There is something different about someone who bears the Spirit of God-the-Son inside. When we hang around an ekklesia, we take notice, and (snap!) - it’s Jesus we see, we hear, we sense - living, loving, and leading.

Sometimes it’s difficult to be called by name to bear the NAME. It can get weary. We can easily get discouraged. We still battle the sin nature. There’s this little thing called “persecution.” There exists this daily struggle with various trials and afflictions of all sizes, shapes, and shades of color. So, we gather together. All the individual churches of like mind and heart come together for a purpose. You might think it’s to worship the one whose NAME we bear. I don’t believe that’s what Scripture teaches. We’ll look at more evidences of why I believe this in future blogs. Right now, let this sink into your soul: we gather together to encourage one another. Worshipping the one whose NAME we bear is a part of that, because we are reminding ourselves of the ONE worthy of worship. Hearing a message is a part, because truths, admonitions, commandments, warnings, and even having a few tables turned over in our souls is important. The main purpose of gathering the church together in one place is this: encouragement to endure. After all the little churches gather together, we leave one another ready to keep on churching…


Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to spur one another on to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.


(Hebrews 10:23-25)

1 comment:

  1. This is 101, but so many CHristians are still on the bottle and don't know it. Keep up the good work, Peg. I always liked the Quacker and Amish term "Meeting". It's more appropriate and doesn't confuse the name Church with weekly congregation.

    ReplyDelete