Monday, January 18, 2016

Supply and Demand

A couple walked into a local Hobby Lobby just after Christmas. They figured this was a great time to pick up supplies they might have wanted before the holiday began, but because the seller wasn’t sure that the supply would meet the demand, the price was a bit higher than they wanted to pay. Now, the supply is great, and demand is low, and they could get things at an incredible steal. Well, an incredible steal, if the low demand meant that what they wanted was still available. That’s called consumerism.

No matter what, things go on sale, as we know, when the demand for certain items is now at an all time low. The lower price restores interest….supposedly. However, it speaks to what is left. What is left wasn’t as desirable as the retailer had hoped when said person placed their original order. 

So, the couple began picking up items that were appealing, in the hopes that it would add to their holiday cheer the following year. Imagine the woman’s surprise when she turned around and found the man holding this sign with this look of shock. Of course, she had to snap a picture. This worship pastor’s response to the photo and the item in his hand? “I thought of all places, Hobby Lobby understood the inestimable value of the Savior, but alas, even they have succumbed to placing Jesus on sale.” 



A few years back, as I was studying for my master’s degree, I read a book, the title and author of which I can’t remember. However, this declaration from that book, I still recall.  “Christians have become consumers of the church, and no longer, committed partners.”  That has made me think…a lot. For when we become consumers, we have a supply and demand theology. 

Here’s how it plays out (I’ve heard it from the mouths of actual members):
What is the church doing for me?
How is the church supplying for my needs?
Does the church create an environment that is “safe”?
Does the church talk about that which makes me feel more comfortable?
Am I entertained by my church?
Are the messages encouraging, building me up, spurring me on, but not “in my face” with admonitions and commands?
Is there a good and positive energy in my church?

Believe me, this is reality.

When what the church supplies becomes a demand, somehow Jesus gets lost in the shuffle. The demand for more of Jesus is lower, He is less desirable, and, yes, even in the church He goes “on sale.” At least in our minds. He’s reduced in priority to that which will recreate interest, population growth, and financial contribution. 


I wish I could say I didn’t fall prey to consumerism. Truth is I do, in my own way. It’s this awareness that has me on the journey I’m now on to understand doing church more biblically. It begins with giving Jesus his rightful place - HE IS THE FOUNDATION! It begins when I, in my heart, elevate Him to that place of inestimable value that my friend, the worship pastor, mentioned. It begins when I confess that church isn’t about me, but about worship. It begins when I dive in and serve the one who is worthy of that worship. It begins with confession, repentance, and starting over. This is where I find myself this morning. In the place of beginning again, taking Jesus off the sale rack, and putting Him in His rightful place.


No comments:

Post a Comment