Thursday, August 3, 2017

Writing for the Soul's Sake

King David was keen on the state of his soul.
He paid constant heed…
Stayed sharp and alert…
Knew and understood exactly where he stood in mind, in will, and in his emotions.
In fact, he talked to his soul as if conversing with a dear friend.
He’s often found in Scripture, especially in the poems he wrote, asking his soul questions.
One of my favorites is this one: “Why are you cast down, O my soul? Why in such despair?”
Then, after asking, he gives himself answers…
Sometimes, commands!


The more I study the songs he wrote…
The more I pay attention to the words of his poetry…
The more I realize I don’t do the same.
My soul and I aren’t very good friends.
We seldom talk;
And, I rarely ask questions; let alone give my heart commands!


Without research to back me up, I don’t think I’m alone here.
After all there isn’t much that isn’t “common to man.”
If one of us has issues in an area, probably it follows suit that many of us do, as well.
Yet, the one thing I glean from David’s song writing is that the man could talk himself through some pretty difficult situations.
King David had a way of bringing difficulty and peace together in one heart.
I love that he has left a legacy of showing me the how-it-is-done. 


The one commonality I see in many of David’s Psalms is found in the titles he sets before the actual writing.
It’s not unusual for him to say things like: For the choirmaster. A Miktam of David. Sometimes following those words are situations “when he fled from Saul in the cave.” Sometimes, there’s a byline, like this: “for instruction.”


As I was reading two or three of these types of psalms this week, it struck me, that David’s soul-talk, often turned to public singing. 
He wasn’t shy about his problems.
He wasn’t private about the drama and whirlwind of his soul’s oft condition.
As he talked his way out of the here-and-now-HARD to a place of there-and-then-PEACE, he wrote the whole process down for others to sing along with him.
It was as if he realized that there would be other here-and-now-HARD places…
And, when he found himself there again, he would need to hear these songs of remembrance. 
When his mind whirled with the drama,
or shut down in fear,
or began to doubt the goodness of God in the land of the living…
David knew he needed the very words he had once penned to walk him through the valley, once more.


So, David wrote songs for recall -
Because who knew what tomorrow might bring?
* More enemies?
* More chaos?
* More uncertainty?
* More betrayal?
* More storms?
*More potential unbelief?
He knew he would need to cling to the HOPE of the promises…
The visions of the there-and-then-to-come.
The words out of his past that had once comforted him to take him through the present.


Then he could rest with certainty in the Therefore:

My heart is steadfast O God.
My heart is steadfast.
I will sing and make melody.

XXXX

King David led the way for worship, not just for the Lord’s sake, but for his soul’s sake.


May I learn to do likewise.

1 comment:

  1. The man was the epitome of a "journaler". It is refreshing to read his songs, and know even the man after God's own heart was like me. Thanks for the refresher, Peg.

    ReplyDelete