Thursday, August 1, 2019

Fear, World News, and Social Media - on the road to #bebrave


This morning as I opened my journal to write down thoughts I'd deliberated over as I read through my devotions, my heart heaved with an uncommon grief.

"Why?" I thought....

"Why do I ever look first at social media, the news, or even emails, before I bolster my spirit with TRUTH?"

Discouraged over postings...

Disturbed by news reports...

Frustrated over criticism in email reports regarding the bride of Christ...

Flabbergasted over followers of Jesus who are vocally abandoning faith...

Heartbroken over lies wrapped in beautiful paper topped with gorgeous bows, yet knowing in my soul that they are nothing more than the trappings of the enemy....


Then, I'm sickened by my own inadequacy to do nothing, unable to voice my heart in such a way it won't be misconstrued as hate, or intolerance...

I recognized FEAR rising.

More than the fear of man, this FEAR is bigger.

It's a fear leaping up inside over the state of our world.

It reminds me of the old Veggie Tale movie about lies.

The one where the baby "lie" grows and grows and grows with the telling, until it becomes a monster, crushing the one who began the story.

This fear grows similarly.

This morning I felt the monster sitting upon my heart.


Truly, the world as we know it is on the cusp of a perfect storm.

The winds gust with gale force.

The clouds heave dark with thunderstorms.


The waves beat furiously against the boat of faith where followers of Jesus have sought safe passage.

The anchor of hope hardly holds in the harbor.

Sadly, in the midst of the storm, within the boat, I look for the unity among believers that Jesus prayed so earnestly for in the garden, and cannot find it.

Divisiveness and chaos-of-opinion run rampant.

Do you find yourself anxious?

Does the bile of fear settle in your throat?

Is the giant of fear taunting you with his threats?

What's the state of your heart?



With this on my mind, I opened the book I was reading with our life group.

The Scripture focused on Paul's journey by sea to Italy.

The storms battered the ship mercilessly.

Sailors threw all the cargo overboard.

They disposed of their tackle.

Fourteen days and nights the ship was violently storm-tossed.


Fear gripped so tightly, those on board felt trapped, paralyzed, unable to eat...

(I've been that afraid before; I totally get it...)

Read Acts 27.

If you don't feel the fear, there is something wrong with your imagination.

As they found themselves nearing land, a new fear pulsed: would anchors hold before the ship hit the rocks?

Dreading the long night ahead, Paul, the preacher, offered a measure of hope.

Good thing(!), for those on board that ship had all but given up...

Here are his words:

Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and incurred this injury and loss. Yet, now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For this very night, there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, "Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. Behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you. "So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. But, we must run aground on some island."

In these words, Paul offers us a prescription for #bebrave.

Confession.  As soon as Paul opened his mouth, he rebukes the entire crew. "You should have listened" were his strong, stinging words. My first inclination of heart rebelled, "What was he thinking?" The last thing people need in the midst of their fear is rebuke. In today's prevalent mindset of sparing someone's feelings, this is true. Not so in the kingdom of God. If another is in error, love and truth confront. Gentleness and goodness combine to bring about righteousness. There is a peace that comes with confession. What might I need to confess? If nothing else, am I trusting in the boat, or am I trusting in the Lord?


Sovereignty. Paul reminds them, just as he was reminded by his heavenly visitor, that God has a plan that will not be thwarted. God is always on His throne. He is directing life events...individually, corporately, and all over the world. Have I forgotten this aspect of God's character in the midst of my fear? The King Reigns on His Throne!


Promises of Hope. Unlike the crew on the ship of Adramyttium, we have the written promises of God. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM are "yes, in Christ Jesus." God is faithful, and He will do just as He promises. Paul offers a reason for the crew to "take heart," by sharing God's promise to him. Am I digging into God's Word for His promises for the future? They are many.


Not everything turns out hunky-dory in the end. Paul was temporarily spared, just so he could get to Rome, where he would eventually be put to death... We aren't guaranteed that life turns out according to our expectations. We are guaranteed that all things are used by God to further His plans in our life, as well as in the lives of others. God knows what He is about. We can trust Him to use EVERYTHING for our good, and His glory. His delight is in us...and He longs for our allegiance and trust. The loss of ship for the cohort, Julius, was Malta's gain. Paul's arrival on Malta equaled salvation for many, physical healing, and discipleship; and, in return, great kindness extended to the crew for the rest of the journey to Rome...


So how did I end my morning that began steeped in fear?

After confessing some misaligned allegiances, I turned to praise:

Praise in God's goodness and sovereignty.

Worship for His worthy plans for my life.

Awe for His holiness and righteousness....yet, that this holy, just God would choose to stoop low enough to show me, a sinner, great kindness.

Finally, a recommitment of trust in Him, surrender of my expectations, and a longing to be a part of what's ahead...with whatever voice He grants me....

...and, yes, commitment to STEEPING MY HEART AND MIND IN TRUTH BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!




No comments:

Post a Comment