Thursday, August 15, 2019

Meat Cleaver Meets Sword...and the road to #bebrave


Time. I tend to value time.  In fact, I'm downright greedy about time.

So, when my time is threatened, I get anxious.

This anxiety almost always leads to fear of failure.

That's when I realized the clock and the calendar had become idols.


As a result, I took some intentional anxiety-breaking steps to course correct.

What do you know! My anxiety levels calmed substantially by simply putting into practice a few small "helps" (for those, you have to go back to previous blogs - shameless plug).

In the meantime, my "to do" list hasn't gotten shorter, but longer.

The calendar for August hasn't emptied, but filled a bit fuller (and September isn't looking much better).

Somehow, I'm squeezing in more, but plugging away and checking things off as I go.

All-the-while, I'm attempting to keep my thoughts managed, to lean into the Presence of my Ever-Present Lord, and simply take the next right step.

I have a feeling that I could continue to mine treasures of wisdom for conquering fear and anxiety until Kingdom-come, but I'm sensing with today's thoughts, this will be a for-now-wrap-up.

XXXXX

In the midst of dinner dishes the other night, I contemplated the topic of worry.

One incredibly mundane task took me on a journey back to Africa (I did a lot of dishes by hand back in the day, and that became some of my best thinking, praying, planning, prepping time...).

For several years, I led an early morning Bible study in one of the dorms for senior girls.

I don't know how much they learned the times we gathered, but the teacher took away A LOT of practical life lessons.

One semester, we did a series on giant killing.


Giants interrupt our lives consistently.

With different names and tactics, they have one goal: to disrupt our growing relationship with Jesus through intimidation.

Of course, the giant of worry showed up on the scene almost immediately...

While rinsing green chili stew off plate after plate, I reflected back to that study.

I recalled how ExCiTeD (!!!!)  I got over one little Greek word (yes, I AM a word-nerd).

Because it slides off the tongue so nicely, it's the moniker I attached to the Worry-Giant we all need to slay:  Merimnao.



My dear friend, the Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible, by Spiros Zodhiates, informed me that this particular Greek word had two parts (one part noun, one part verb) which combined together to create a vivid word picture.

N:  the mind
V:  to divide

When we worry, then, we live with a divided mind.




When we worry, it's the result of allowing the enemy of our souls to chop up our intellect into tiny little unmanageable pieces.

What a revelation!

Of course, this is a favorite tactic the enemy of our souls takes advantage of; and, when we willingly put our minds on his chopping block, look out!


He will divide our attentions in a thousand different ways, and dance with delight, as he slashes our minds into bits.

Is it any wonder, then, that the Lord speaks so often about our minds?

Of course not!

It's why the Lord God reminds us that we fight in a war that needs especially peculiar armor.  We don't fight flesh and blood, but against spiritual forces of evil. One important piece of armor is the helmet - to protect our minds from the devil's crafty schemes (see Ephesians 6:10-18).


It's why we are admonished to continually renew our minds, transforming our thoughts, so that we can discern what is good, acceptable, and wise (Romans 12:1-2).


It's why we are commanded to cast away old ways of thinking, and be renewed in the spirit of our minds (Ephesians 4:22-23).


It's why we are told to "think/meditate on those things that are true, noble, pure, right, honorable, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy" (Philippians 4:8).



BUT OF ALL THE WORDS SPOKEN ABOUT OUR MINDS, THIS ONE PRODDED ME MORE TOWARD CHANGE:


If then, you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Colossians 1:1-3, ESV


When the enemy comes at us with his meat cleaver in hand, we come back with our sword of truth.



Truth: I am hidden in Christ-the-Son.

Truth: He is hidden in God-the Father.

Truth: In me is the empowering Holy Spirit.

Truth: My mind is untouchable without relinquishing permission.

Truth: As long as my thoughts are "established/set/positioned/disposed/intentional" upon the things that are above, and not on worldly matters, I have a lot more "brain space." 

It seems counter-intuitive, right? BUT IT WORKS!!!

Practically, what does this mean to "set our minds on things above"?


THINK!

God-thoughts. What perspective would God have on my life right now? 

Kingdom-thoughts. What would He be doing right now, in flesh, on planet earth, until He ushers us into His Heavenly Kingdom? We are His ambassadors.

God-desires. What are God's desires that need fulfilling, and how can I be His hands and feet? Ask God to give you eyes to see the things that break His heart, and what you can do to be a part of the "fix" (even if it is simply bowing your knees in prayer).

Premeditated-truth. What words of truth from God's Word, the Bible, would He speak over me, if He were sitting knee to knee with me? Heavenly thoughts are always Biblical thoughts; get into the Word!

Eternal-hopes. What's awaiting me in heaven? By thinking about eternity, things on earth often diminish in size. So, what about heaven am I longing for today? 

God's character. Think about who Your God is...Rehearse His character, His attributes, His names...Remember the chorus to Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus? "And, the things of earth will grow strangely dim...in the light of His glory and grace."

Fill your mind with these things, and there's no room for fear.

Then, we, my friend, are on the road to brave.


The End (but not the end...)!

No comments:

Post a Comment