Thursday, March 26, 2020

Sifting through the Nets of Remembrance....My Pursuit of the Almighty



REMEMBER!

This word.

It is important to the Lord.

So far, in my reading through the Bible program, I have completed The Law and The History books.

I was curious how many times the Lord asks us to remember....

I cheated.

I used a word search feature on my Olive Tree Bible app.

51 times (and, there are possibly more depending upon the context)!

He wants us to remember Him...His wondrous deeds...His acts of love toward us...His rescue...His salvation...His covenant.


As I said, remembering is important to the Lord...and it is, also, a vital part of celebrating Sabbath.

Not only are we to rest on Sabbath, but we are to remember the Lord our God who has "brought us out...and into His new Kingdom..."

This strikes me, probably more in these days, as many of us are quarantined in somewhat of a "forced Sabbath..."

What a great time to celebrate with remembrance in our family circles all the Lord has done on our behalf.  It's a pretty great thing to do during this Lenten Season, as well.

(By the way, I recently wrote a blog on the joy of my own "forced Sabbath" several weeks back - you can link that blog post here.)


#####

With this introduction, I read a quote that fits where I'm headed in this blog:

"Memory is a net..."
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I thought of this quote again, as Bay and I were watching The Chosen (if you haven't started it, oh, do! It's free on YouTube or VidAngel. Here's another link to the first episode).


As Jesus climbs into Andrew and Peter's fishing boat, He gives a lesson to those on shore (and in the boat) about the Kingdom...Nets are for gathering...and, the net will be cast wide to bring in followers of Jesus in the new Kingdom, and then one day all will be sorted out.


Writers write.

Whether good or bad, those who are compelled to write, practice writing.


I decided to sort out the memories in my memory-net that had to do with God's hand leading, loving, "learning-me" in His ways...

I sat down, pulled out a piece of paper, and at the top wrote these words, "I remember..."

An odd memory popped into my head, so I just went with it.

#####

Bay and I hadn't been back from Kenya long, when a dear friend, a mentor, a co-worker in youth ministry, a Bible Study leader in our church, a woman of great faith, passed away of cancer.

For years, she had led a women's bible study in her home, comprised of women from all over the community.

When she passed, several of the ladies came and asked if I would pray about stepping in as their new "teacher."

I prayed, and God seemed to give the nod.


That first session was the hardest moment in all of my teaching that I can remember.

My thought: What am I doing? I can never be her...Who am I to take her place?

No, I couldn't replace her (and I truly wasn't a wanna-be), but I had felt "called by God" to this task.

In fact, at one moment in my praying and seeking direction, the Lord reminded me of a moment on the night of November 24, 1970.

I was on my knees, digging under my bed, looking for a Bible.

Earlier that night, I had given my life to Jesus, and was incredibly CHANGED in the instant of a mere prayer!

As I scrounged through the junk stuffed underneath, I prayed another prayer, which I clearly remember (I had no idea how dangerous this prayer was):

"Lord, if you can ever use me in the life of other women to know You, could You use me?"

I've said it many times, oh, if only I had known how He would answer down the road, I'd have climbed under the bed!


That prayer from my lips came from God's heart through me to be another memory in my net that, YES(!), He definitely had plans...

All I knew in that moment, as I stood before a dear group of gals (many much more seasoned-in-Christ than I), is that I was there as the Lord's servant.

Insecure.

Unqualified.

Bankrupt.

Trusting.

All I wanted to do was share Jesus and do life with these women.


I wanted others to be as excited about Him, as His explosion into my life had left me...

While it was important that the Lord affirm my calling, the women affirmed me, as well.

They became my greatest cheerleaders.

They gave me a platform to practice, a training-ground to grow in researching and speaking...

They were my instructors, much more so than I ever taught them.

Because they were, I do what I do today...

Still, at times, insecure, unqualified, bankrupt, but TRUSTING.


What did this memory do in me this week?  Why should it matter to you?

1) I'm reminded I am still called. In this new season of "coronatine," where events are being cancelled, and I am quarantined at home, there is still a venue open to me. As much as I fear that venue (cameras and technology are big fear-triggers), I can learn to adapt (even if I am an old-dog-learning-new-tricks). It's time to move out of my comfort zone once again, and #bebrave. So, be watching for what this might look like for me. You get the role of being my new "cheerleaders" and "instructors," if you are open...

2) AND, I challenge you to pull out your "net," and examine it for your special memories of how the Lord has moved in your world, exploded into your ordinary, and become hope-sharers to your family and to others through the tools of social media, and through encouraging notes (snail main, email, text-messaging....)

REMEMBER!


No comments:

Post a Comment