Wednesday, February 19, 2020

"Forced Sabbath" - and my Pursuit of the Almighty

 (from Psalm 62:1)


I Needed the Quiet

I needed the quiet so He drew me aside,
Into the quiet where we could confide.
Away from the bustle, where all the day long
I hurried and worried when active and strong.

I needed the quiet though at first I rebelled
But gently, so gently, my cross He upheld
And whispered so sweetly of spiritual things
Though weakened in body, my spirit took wings
To heights never dreamed of when active and gay
He loved me so greatly, He drew me away.

I needed the quiet. No prison this bed,
But a beautiful valley of blessing instead.
A place to grow richer in Jesus to hide.
I needed the quiet so He drew me aside.
-Alice Hansche Mortenson-

Yesterday, I ran across this little poem I'd gathered up and pasted in a journal years ago... 

It made me stop and smile, for, certainly, it has described my last week and a half.

Whether season-of-the-year, or the sharing of germs at a recent event, or just down-right low immune-systems, both Bay and I got slapped with nasty colds.

I felt mine coming on a week-ago last Monday, and immediately started in on Zicam.

By Tuesday, the battle raged.

By Wednesday, I surrendered to the enemy.

I felt frustrated, to say the least...

It's been years since I've had a full on head-cold.

However, since mid-October, I've had two!

Both knocked me flat, and then stood victoriously on my back, cheering (at least I imagined that little guy from the Mucinex commercial doing just that!).


I "kept at life" through Friday still knocking stuff off my ever-"yelling-at-me"-to-do-list, but by Friday night, I knew I was done-for.

Saturday and Sunday became "forced Sabbaths." 


We both stayed home....

Bay stayed in bed all day.

I found my "home" on the couch, where I usually have my quiet times.

We read.

We watched a movie.

We napped...a lot.

We listened to favorite podcasts.

On Sunday, we watched and learned from some of our favorite preachers...


We read some more.

Listened to worship music.

I started putting a few of the spiritual-disciplines I've been researching into practice.

I even colored!


By Sunday afternoon, I began to turn a corner (at least broke a fever, even though congestion is still my closest friend).

I found myself surprised by God.

I'd just had two wonderfully quiet, spiritually refreshing, Spirit-speaking, retreat days.

Maybe Saturday and Sunday started as "forced Sabbaths," but these two days were just what the GREAT-PHYSICIAN-of-my-heart ordered!


I'd kept company with Jesus.

I'd paid attention and listened to Him, and didn't just spill-forth my ever-increasing-agenda on Him, asking Him to bless it.

I'd heard His sweet soft voice.

My body rested, but my soul came alive!

"And, my spirit took wings!"
(just like the poem told me it would...)


######

Why wait for a cold, or a sickness, to force some Sabbath-days-with-Jesus?

Two days of Sabbath and I'm already looking at my calendar for when I might be able to take two more! 

It's a radical thing - right?

But it's a God-like-thing!

Sabbath can look many ways...it will be different for each of us...

but, it's purpose is to set-apart time to REST, RESTORE, RENEW, REMEMBER...

I'm learning the more I pursue Him, He's pursuing me to an even greater extent... 

I turn - He's already there...

And, He's just the sweetest companion...



P.S. And, this morning I'm on my way to a new event (with Bay - we're speaking at a marriage conference) - recharged, spirit-ready, and...feeling more like myself!

My heart is overly-filled with gratitude for my Sabbath!



No comments:

Post a Comment