Sunday, May 22, 2011

Storyline: Queen Esther, #3

When we left Queen Esther last, she had called her people to a fast.  While she waited on the Lord, God stepped in to answer.  No doubt, he helped to do exactly what he promised Isaiah years before:  They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles. They will walk and not grow weary; they will run and not faint (40:31).  Not too many verses later, Isaiah gives another promise:  But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off”; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (41:9-10).  Take out "Israel," put in Esther, and you could just as easily have her testimony.

Strengthened, Esther stood before the King. I'm sure she, along with everyone in the room, held their breath. This was certain death for Esther...unless...

Do you wonder what went on in her husband's mind?  Think he might have been remembering another time, another place, another queen...but one who refused to come into his presence?  Whatever he was thinking, his processing led him to extend the scepter. Obviously realizing something was wrong, Xerxes asked what troubled his Queen enough she'd risk her life to come to him unbidden.  Here was Esther's moment... Here is where I would have poured forth the whole bloomin' story...I wouldn't have wasted a minute.  You don't have to ask me twice, but, not so with Esther.  Her time "waiting on the Lord," not only gave her strength, but gave her a clear plan, and patience (something I lack).  So, she invited her King to a feast (ah, yes, another banquet), along with evil Haman - two meals over a two day period. 

I have to ask myself, why?  Why wait?  The only reason I can feasibly come up with is that the ears of Esther's heart were sensitive to the voice of her true King.  I think I  know this because of what happens in the interlude.  God used the waiting to remind Xerxes he'd done nothing to honor Mordecai for saving his life, and it forced Haman to eat a little humble pie, and build the gallows for his own hanging (even though he thought it was for Mordecai). 

So, this brings us to yet another aspect of Esther's faith...she knew the voice of her beloved.  That kind of listening doesn't just happen...it is developed over time.  It takes other times, lots of times, of solitude and silence to hear that sweet, still small voice.  As a result, Esther walked in patience, grace, and confidence, and didn't rush ahead of God.  Oh, my!  Can you say, "convicted?"

Lord, may I spend enough time in your presence that I pick your voice over all the others clamoring for my attention.  I so want to not run ahead of you, but move gracefully and patiently forward one step at a time, especially, Lord when crucial conversations are at stake...

No comments:

Post a Comment