Monday, June 20, 2011

I Am...An Introduction

                I have to admit, beginning a series, such as the one on which we're about to embark, feels much like preparing to explore some deep oceanic waters.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the ocean, having been raised in a little sea-side community.  To this day, no place on earth brings me more of a sense of peace than sitting on a sandy shore.  However, to be honest, I have a healthy fear of deep water.  The vastness and dark depths overwhelm me and, sometimes, panic sets into my soul.  So, this is a bit how I feel in regards to submerging myself into the “I Am” statements of Jesus (overwhelmed by the limitlessness). 
                On the other hand, knowing our Lord, is critical to the Christian life.  If I don’t truly know him, I won’t trust him.  If I don’t know him, I won’t believe what he tells me.  If I don’t know him, I can’t really love him; and, it is love that drives out all fear (1 John 4:18).  Knowing is the hinge on which everything turns in regards to the Christian journey. 
                Recently, as I’ve saturated myself in the Psalms (particularly the ones King David wrote), I’ve noticed a pattern (simply read one Psalm a day for the next month and I think you’ll see the same pattern).  I love this man’s honesty – he shamelessly pours out the mess of his heart to God.  Sometimes, he brutally accuses his Lord.  Then, David starts talking to himself.  He reminds himself just who his God is and how faithful his God has been.  Before you realize that David has place a period at the end of a sentence, he’s going off in praise.  His attitude has changed and you read the words of a confident, courageous, content man (who is able to sleep in peace in spite of his situation).  In this fashion, I want to be just like David.
                So while sandy beaches are safe, the real beauty is beneath the surface of the water – out in the scary depths of the sea.  I might need a little practice learning to breathe (maybe in my bathtub first), but I’m ready to go diving!  Wanna come?

No comments:

Post a Comment