Monday, January 2, 2012

It's a New Year...Welcome, 2012!

In the beginning God created…And by the seventh day God completed His work, which He had done; and He rested (Genesis 1:1, Genesis 2:2)

The past couple of weeks have provided a much needed, restful vacation following a full, busy year. I've enjoyed some down time, and for me that means allowing myself to do some mindless activities. Bay and I have watched a few movies, and read a few new novels, and eaten out a lot...  For me, entering a new year is much like opening the initial pages of a new novel. I can't wait to see what is written and how the story will end. I typically like happy endings…but not every story has one, that's for sure.

More than making resolutions for a new year, I appreciate starting January 1 of the coming year with some kind of action plan.  While not every story has a happy ending, it does help accomplish a "happier" one, when there is a plan.  So, ushering in a new year is generally done with much reflection.  I have my own mini-traditions.  One of those is to get some time alone with the Lord, and sift through the good and the bad of the old year, seeking what life lessons I can walk away with to make the new year a better year (there are some lessons I'd rather not repeat). I like to ask myself a few follow-up questions as I close out the year.  Questions like:  What were some of my personally defining moments of this last year? What did I learn from someone else that impacted me in a positive way?  Is there something I neglected this year - projects, standards, or goals that I did not complete?  How are my relationships?  I tend to need "closure" and this process allows that to happen.

Then, I intentionally check in on the following areas (please note, I did not come up with these questions on my own, but borrowed them from a friend who is much smarter, and more diligent than I):

What do I hope to accomplish in this next year?  Dreams/Visions? Projects?  How do I personally wish to grow?
Are there standards/goals to improve my soul health?  my emotional health?  my physical healthy?  my relationships? my finances?  With these things in mind - what action steps will I take; what books can I read; are there people who could mentor me; events I could attend; classes I could take; podcasts I could listen to…  In other words, what can I do Monday through Friday to be intentional about these things? 


As we're still on the threshold of 2012, this is an invitation to carve out a day alone with God (DAWG), or a half-DAWG, and do a little strategic planning for a happier ending when the pages close on the story of 2012 next December 31. 

No comments:

Post a Comment