Monday, April 23, 2012

This is God's Will.

Another look at 1 Thessalonians 5:17.  As we’ve unpacked this verse, we’ve already learned that we are to be thankful at all times, in all circumstances (Eph 5:20 re-affirms this!), and “in” all places.  However, there is one last phrase in the verse that cannot be overlooked.  Here’s the verse in its entirety:
“...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

This is God’s will.   There it is.  If we’re to answer who (all of us), what (develop an attitude of gratitude), where (everywhere), when (at all times), now we come to why (being thankful is God’s will for me).  Just what does this mean?  We talk a lot about God’s will.  I think most of us really want to follow God’s will.  Sometimes, it’s really difficult to know what God’s will for my life is.  Often, following God’s will is like driving in a blinding snow storm, and feels a bit like how I felt as a child at an Easter egg hunt (everyone hit the ground running at the sound of the whistle, and I froze –  hence, everyone else got to the eggs before I did – so I always ended up disappointed).  God’s will is “out there,” but it seems to be clearer to others than it is to me. 

When it comes to the subject of whether I should be thankful or not thankful – there is no question.  God’s will is already established.  I don’t have to search for it.  I don’t have to worry that someone else will “get it” before me.  It’s pretty clear from the get go.  Of course, I had to check the Greek definition of the word transliterated “thelema” in my Lexicon (you didn’t think you could get away without a little word study, did you?).  Here’s the definition...the purpose of God to bless mankind through Christ ;  what God wishes to be done by us (synonyms:  command, precept, will, choice, inclination, desire, pleasure). 

With this in mind, let’s rephrase the verse:
Give thanks ALWAYS for this is God’s desire – and it will bless you.
Give thanks ALWAYS for this pleases God – and you will find blessing in doing so.

I’ve re-read (several times now) those two simple statements and some warning bells have sounded in my head.  My human nature automatically focuses my eyes on the second part of that sentence.  I want blessing...so I can easily add “be thankful” to my spiritual to do list.  If the act of being thankful brings blessing, then I can muster up plenty of thanksgiving.  Whoops!  At that point, my thanksgiving becomes performance based legalism.  It doesn’t spring out of a heart filled with the knowledge of the grace and goodness of God.  It’s not an overflow of gratitude from one who is so in love with the One who first loved her that she longingly submits to His pleasure...His will.

I’ve said enough – ponder this with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment