Monday, October 1, 2012

I AM Changes i am: Victorious Overcomer


For everyone born of God overcomes the world.  This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.  Who is it that overcomes the world?  Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
I John 5:4-5

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ... 2 Corinthians 2:14

I am a victorious overcomer!

I’m looking at these verses, staring at the word “AM” and feeling completely befuddled.  Am is a present tense word.  The verses don’t promise me someday.  They don’t declare me to be in progress.   The word means in the now, right here, this minute.  Scripture tells me that my God is a Victorious Warrior, and, as a result, I am, as well.  This is not true.  I may have had some occasional rare glimpses of possibility, but nah, I am not an overcomer. 

Not long ago, I sat at a church dinner held in honor of a group of young men from the Sudan.  These boys, after watching their parents shot down in front of them, and their homes burned to the ground, marched across their massive country on foot, traveling mostly by night, journeying to freedom.  In spite of wild animal attacks, lack of food and fresh water, unmarked roads, rough terrain, weather difficulties, no maps, and no adult leadership, they kept going until they crossed into Kenya and found hope, and new life, in a refugee camp (you can Google the story of the Lost Boys of Sudan and read their story in full).  They deserve the title “overcomer.”  My blessed life pales in the arena of steadfastness, patience, and joyous thanksgiving these true overcomers exemplified.

Yet, as I dig a little deeper into the Biblical definition of “victorious” and “overcomer,” I think I’ve discovered something.  There is a problem with my perception.  I look at victory through the lens of the world, rather than through the eyes of God.  For some reason, his view is much different.  How do I know?  I recently re-read the story of Gideon (Judges 6 & 7).

Gideon, in my eyes (or as the rest of the world might view him), is a wimp.   Hands down.  If I had a picture dictionary, his face would be the one I’d expect to see next to the word fraidy-cat (in his defense, my picture could be an alternate).   During the days of Gideon, the Midianites ferociously cornered the Israelites.  They frequently attacked, destroying their livelihood, their crops, and their livestock.   God came looking for a man he could use to lead Israel out of bondage, and for some reason, he picked Gideon.  He found Gideon, busy beating out wheat…in a wine press.  In other words, Gideon, hoping to avoid conflict, hid in a place where he would be least expected.  I don’t think I’d really want to be found hiding when God came looking for me, but…back to the story.  I rather expected the Lord’s greeting to be a bit stern, but just goes to show I neither know God well enough, nor respond like him.  God’s greeting to this fatalist?  “The Lord is with you, O valiant warrior!”  Seriously?  Yep, the Lord saw something, I sure didn’t. 

What was it?  Since Gideon is listed in Hebrews 11 as one of God’s heroes of faith, I reckon that’s it.  In spite of the fear, in spite of hiding in the shadows, the Lord saw a glimmer of something capable of growth:  a faith that would result in obedience.  What caused Gideon to turn the corner?  There in a wine press, he saw a big God, who promised to be with him.  In response, Gideon did a little evaluating – if he had God-with-him, what good were the idols to whom his people had been clinging?  So, he tore them down.  Once the idols were removed, Gideon was free for the Spirit of God to come upon him.  The rest is history…

Maybe I could turn a corner, too.  Being a valiant warrior doesn’t mean an absence of fear, it means having the presence of God (Emmanuel, God with us – Christ in me, the hope of glory).  Being a valiant warrior doesn’t mean having all the right experiences, it means destroying all the wrong relationships with the “other gods” to whom I pay allegiance.  Being a valiant warrior doesn’t mean I’m capable, it means I’m available…WHEN…

So, I feel qualified to stand by the Gideons of this world and boldy declare that I am, indeed, a valiant warrior, even now, simply because God has promised me his presence, I’m learning to identify and tear down idols in the way, and stand (not, necessarily fearless) but available for when he calls.





No comments:

Post a Comment