Monday, July 1, 2013

Decision Making: On Fact or Feeling?


It is written.  It is written.  It is written.
(Matthew 4:4,7,10)

Three words - Jesus’ answer to every temptation.  Undoubtedly, his response to every crucial decision (maybe even the small ones).  I’ve always been taught, that when we see something repeated in the Bible, it’s important to take heed.  It’s a pretty critical teaching.  When it’s repeated more than once, we REALLY need to listen.  It’s more than critical; it’s VITAL.

Life is filled with temptations.  Life is filled with decision-making moments.  How do we know what is the right way to go?  Every temptation, every decision is a crossroads of sorts.  Very few are neutral.  Almost every one has some kind of consequence.  I want the response that leads down the most God-glorifying path.  I really do.  I’ve learned it’s not always the enjoyable path; nor is it the easiest path.  In fact, it can be hard…and it doesn’t always “feel” good.

One of the most recent “big” decisions for us came as we closed out our time of service at Arizona Christian University.  While I knew the Lord had made it clear that the timing to retire from higher education was right, I loved living in Phoenix.  I am a warm weather girl.  I like the city.  It’s not so much for the shopping (I’m definitely not a shopper), as much as I like the conveniences.  Bay and I began talking early last fall about the possibility of purchasing a small condo/townhouse in the area, perhaps a bit closer to where our youngest daughter lives in Casa Grande.  Prices were good, and it seemed feasible, IF I would take out all my retirement money.  If that were the case, we could probably make it work.  That seemed like a great idea to me.  It “felt” like a great idea.  It helped appease some of the sad-feelings about leaving ACU and the Phoenix area.

We weren’t taking this decision lightly.  We prayed A LOT.  We looked A LOT at places (both through the Internet and driving around).  Yet neither of us felt a peace.  When all was said and done, it came down to the words, “It is written.”  The questions we asked ourselves had a lot to do with what the Scriptures say about smart spending, wise stewardship, and the unknown future.  We have learned through experience that when we make a decision based on how we “feel,” it usually doesn’t serve us well in the end.  It’s better to make decisions based on gathered knowledge and wisdom, combined with God’s truth.  So, we said “no” to the dream…

I’ll be honestly authentic here.  I didn’t like the decision.  I knew it was right, but I wrestled with it for several months.  I believe God knows my heart…in the end, I wanted what he wants; REALLY, I do.  He let me wrestle.  He did not condemn.  Yet, in the end, I always seem to come around, and with the stepping into obedience, the feelings start to match the response.  Based on our history (God’s & mine), while obedience is often difficult at first, every opportunity to follow becomes easier to make, and to turn over my will (my "want to").  However, when I go with the emotional decision, the end is generally just the opposite: easy at first, difficult later.  I’ve experienced both.

How do you make your decisions? On truth or emotion? Facts or Feelings?  May we always seek the “it is written” as much as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment