Monday, May 19, 2014

A Little Sand Theology




I have walked sandy beaches all my life.  I practically grew up on a beach.  The Lord has always used a beach to blow away the cobwebs in my brain, and clear out the spiritual wax in my ears.  Somehow he speaks louder when Im walking through sand and surf.  Recently, he did so again, this time as I pondered the following verse:

He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but was made manifest in the last times for your sake...
1 Peter 1:20.

Think about what Peter is saying. God knew from Genesis 1:1, in the beginning, before the world, as we know it even existed, that there would be a Peg Forrest.  He knew, even before he created me, and planted me as a seed in my mother's uterus, that I would need a Savior-Rescuer-Redeemer-Lord. Back then, he had already begun to grieve over me.  Back then (how long ago was the beginning?), he made a plan, for Peggy's sake; and he probably grieved again, knowing what that plan would entail. I mattered, but lest you think this is just a case of spiritual narcissism, so did you.

Lest you think that this blows me up with pride, now try to wrap you mind around the following.  What began as a little beach-walk, quickly turned to a theology lesson.  As I looked at the sand, The Lord reminded me of his promise to Abraham; the promise that said, "Your descendants shall be as the sand along the seashore."  (See Genesis 22:16-18)  I am one of those descendants.  No, I'm not Jewish, but as a believer in Christ, I qualify by adoption. I'm a grain of sand.

Ever picked up just a grain of sand? It's teeny. It's hard to distinguish from any other grain of sand. As a result, it's easily lost...easily washed away...easily tossed about by the wind. It's insignificant and worthless. It's annoying (especially when it gets under your fingernail, or between your toes). Oh, and, we can't forget, it's DIRTY!  But, for the sake of a grain of sand, The Lord saw, knew by name, and LOVED...Jesus, God the Son, incarnated himself. On my behalf, he chose to give up his rights as God, humble himself, and take the nature of a servant, so he could die. Honestly, I'm bowled over by the grain-of-sand-theology.



Do you see it?  Right there, on the tip of my finger...that one little grain represents me.  You're in there, too...

What does that theology change in me?  It so makes me want to get over myself.  I'm humbled. AND, while it changes my identity from insignificant and worthless, and raises my value; it does so much more in me.  I have to quote the words from a book I just finished, because this quote GREATLY resonated in me:  "If you see the gospel only as a proposition that you believe, that reshapes your identity, you can easily slip into a kind of gospel narcissism where "Jesus for me" just makes you touchy.  (If this is so), you've never moved on from Jesus's death for you to your death for others.  Jesus is only good for your self-image, but he hasn't mastered your life. He doesn't own you."  (Paul Miller, A Loving Life)


This is the change my grain-of-sand-theology is producing in me - a greater desire to die to self, to humble myself, and to love as Jesus loved.  It'll be a process, but I know it has taken seed in the soil of my heart, and maybe, just maybe, begun to sprout.

Now, I highly recommend finding a sandy beach somewhere, taking a walk, and pondering the for your sake of Peter's words...

Jesus love changes everything!



No comments:

Post a Comment