Monday, July 28, 2014

Living Life Upside Up

Lately, I find myself procrastinating...........A LoT! It's like I've picked up a procrastination virus and it's infected my soul. I could pray for a cure. I could ask God to give me a motivation-shot.  However, like most viruses that attack us, there's really nothing you can do to magically treat this illness, other than a personal dose of "just-do-it" (whatever "it" is). A gulping swallow of self-control will also help  alleviate the symptoms. Praying for God to suddenly inspire me is a lot like asking God to make me more loving. Both require action. When it comes to love, I find the "feeling" comes once I start to do the loving thing. Same is undoubtedly true for motivation. I'll discover motivation when I make the choice to begin, to dig in my heels, to get after it...  Sigh. I think I am not alone in wishing for a magical pill...

Perhaps this whole issue is why I seem to be collecting quotes in my journal about self-control (aka: self discipline). These all seem to center around doing now to prevent tomorrow's regrets. Here's one of those: "Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most." Another seems to repeat what I've just said, "The best way to GAIN self-control is to practice it."  There's even a Dr. Seuss quote that has resonated with me (you know this one, as well as I): "You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes; you can steer yourself any direction you choose." Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah.

The worst part of this war on procrastination is this realistic realization: there is a lazy and slothful spirit in my heart. The only way to win the war is to accumulate the proper ammunition, which is what some of those quotes become. Here's the best "bullet" of all from Romans 12:11: Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord...  God has his ways of pointing out just what we need, when we need it.

Then.......this. Yesterday I went for my usual morning walk. It does seem like when I'm out, in the clear morning air, my "spidey" senses are extra alert, and I hear the Lord a little more clearly. Anyway, I found a penny on the ground, upside down. Normally, I wouldn't waste the energy on a penny. Seriously. Not only is a penny not worth the effort it takes to bend down; it's definitely not worth stirring up my vertigo-scarred-brain. However, for some reason, I picked it up. There it was head-down in the dirt. As I stood up, turning the coin over, this thought crossed my mind. Now, before I give it to you, I want to clarify. I don't know if this was just a me-thought, or a God-thought, but either way, it doesn't really matter. Wherever it came from, it was worth reflecting and processing.



OK, here's what passed from one side of the brain to the other: Most people choose to live upside-down when they could be living upside-up.

What does that mean to me? By choice, I often opt to live a defeated life, head-down. Instead, I can choose to live right side up. For me that looks like making a choice to walk circumspectly and wisely; to follow after my Savior, to apply the truths of God's word that are proven; and to take steps that bring me closer to the Lord's heart... Living upside-up means I live with no regrets; I embrace life head on (even including the trials that come my way); and, I choose to enjoy the blessings that tend to be overshadowed by the negative.  Living upside-up means I hug my grand-treasures a little tighter; look for Kingdom opportunities in little minutes; smile brighter; give thanks more often; and choose boldness in spite of fear. Living upside-up makes room for what's important, what's healthy, what's right, and what's loving. Living upside-up prioritizes, simplifies, and magnifies Jesus. Living upside-up means there is no room for procrastination...

Oh, may I never be found
heads down...
May I always choose
to live
upside up! Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment