Monday, September 22, 2014

Another Reason Behind THE HARD

Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God.
1 Peter 4:1-2.

A conversation returned to me after I wrote the earlier "monologue on hard." It is another mental reminder we ought tuck away in our proactive arsenal to have handy when life throws us a curve ball.  I remembered this conversation as I was reading the above verse that discusses Christ's sufferings. First the conversation, then the explanation, and, eventually I'll give you the take away.

Soldier-son invited Soldier-friend to come hunting. Then, Soldier-son had to go out on some unexpected military exercise, leaving Soldier-friend in our care. We loved it! Not only was he a great guy, but it was an honor to GIVE BACK to one who GIVES CONSTANTLY to our country. At any rate, said conversation took place as I was delivering Soldier-friend back to the airport. We began discussing a class on leadership he had been taking, and some of the leaders they had studied. One such leader was former head of the Red Cross, Bernadine Healy (have to admit, I didn't know of her). Apparently, 9/11 occurred under her watch, and when she arrived at the Pentagon, she found the Red Cross totally lacking, to which she controversially made some major changes mighty quick. I made this flippant remark that went something like this, "I suppose that corporations in the midst of crisis, just like humans, find things at the heart that are lacking. It seems during the hard times the yuck in us all rises to the surface, and we discover things about ourselves that 1) we don't like, and 2) need some changing." That's not a profound statement; it's just experientially true to me.

Then I read the above verse a couple days later. Jesus never sinned. This is a fact we know and theologically believe (Hebrews 4:15, 2 Corinthians 5:21). We, believers, definitely know sin; but, we are to have Jesus' mindset. Which was? See the verse below:

Have this way of thinking in you, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

The mind of Christ. He died to His rights. Submitted Himself to the Father. Humbled Himself. Served mankind by becoming my sin unto death.

I'm to have the same mind. Die to self. Submit myself to the Father. Humble myself. Serve others in obedience to the call of God.

What gets in the way? I do. My rights. My human desires. My wants. My way. My will. 

Jesus suffered not to cease from any sin on His part, but to take my sin. When God allows the hard to occur in my life, the YUCK in me does rise to the surface. Then, as the sweet Spirit of the Lord opens my eyes, and reminds me that I am to receive Christ's payment, even for this sin, it puts me in a position for Him to clean away the YUCK. Now, I can walk forward with the right mind...not living for myself, but for Him who became sin for me.

Take away: Sometimes (not always is this the case), I need the hard to show me my sin, so I might walk rightly with my Savior, having His mind regarding life.

No comments:

Post a Comment