Monday, September 21, 2015

Live a Life of Gladness

It's very Pollyanna-ish. Yet, there is no question that if we are being fruit-filled, fruit-refreshing, joy-givers, then we are passing on gladness. It certainly wouldn't hurt our world to hear more people playing the glad-game.



There's plenty of negativity to go around. We live in a world that accepts negativity as normal - and, acceptable. Sometimes, it's all in the name of "vulnerability" and "honesty." While I honestly think being vulnerable is important, and we all need safe people with whom we can have those kind of melt-down-moments, I'm drawn to those folks who are positive and joy-full. There are a few I have hand-picked in my life. I need them. Their gratitude and gladness is contagious. These folks don't fake it. They mean it. Their lives may be over-the-top with HARD, but they look for the stuff of which thankfulness is made. Gladness is the thread that stitches the quilt of their lives together so they can wrap up in comfort when the storms of life get stormier. Being with them teaches me to do the same. That's why I need them. Even after a brief conversation, I'm refreshed and ready to tackle what life throws at me.




Joy-givers live a life of gladness. How do I know it's biblical? Remember a couple weeks ago, I mentioned the Greek word for joy is transliterated "chara?" My favorite author of a word study dictionary, Spiros Zodhiates, gives this uncomplicated definition for joy: a spirit of gladness. So, quite often you'll see the word "chara" translated in our Bibles as "glad." They are synonymous, yet each give us a slightly different spin. To be glad is the expression of joy. Joy is that internal spirit of soul-settledness. Those who are glad cannot help but speak up. We often find the words together in Scripture. Where joy is gladness shows.


Let the godly rejoice...
Let them be glad in God's presence;
Let them be filled with joy.
Ps. 68:3

So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you may endure trials for a little while. 
I Peter 1:6.

 In order to be able to rejoice and be glad in spite of the trials of life, there is one key ingredient: we must lose the sense of entitlement; the thought that we need/deserve more. I've been slowly reading devotionally a book by an author, Jeremiah Burroughs, entitled The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment (contentment being another accurate synonym for joy). The book was written in 1648 (it is a bit comforting to know people struggled with a spirit of gladness and satisfaction way back then, too). One of the things that struck me recently was Burroughs statement that when we enroll in Christ's school to learn this great mystery of joy, we will find that it comes to us upon recognition that all the Lord does in our lives is suitable to us. In other words, I may wish for something to look different, to hold a different position, to have more power, more finances, more resources, a better house, an upgraded computer/phone/tablet/television, yet those things are not fit for me at the moment, and maybe never.

Deep in the recesses of my heart (though I believe I have dealt with this), there is this one wish for MORE, to be better at something... Yet, I know why the Lord holds that desire from me. It's not suitable for me. Without doubt, I KNOW, I could not handle the responsibility, the demands the duty, the "danger" toward pride, or the depths of accountability to which I'd be held. It's silly really;  yet, has the potential to be a joy-robber, if I don't stay on top of this TRUTH. The other side of this coin is the fact that God has blessed me in so many ways. Ways that are truly bigger than I deserve. This fact is HUGER than I can believe when I stop to list those blessings each morning. He is truly faithful, with new mercies for me each day. There is much to be GLAD about.

Yep, we are to give joy away through grace, through generosity, and certainly through gladness. The older I get, the more I want to be Pollyanna.





No comments:

Post a Comment