Monday, February 8, 2016

Church: It Starts With Godly Sincerity

As a general rule, I really struggle when I’m around people who boast. Even though I’ve come to realize that it’s often out of insecurity (which, in itself, is a sense of false pride), it’s a hurdle for me to overcome and, yes, it says something about my own heart. Yet the question that came to mind after I discovered last week’s key passage (2 Thessalonians 1:3-4) was this: “To boast or not to boast?” It is a good question. Since bragging always has this prideful slant, I was surprised that Paul was so generous in his affirmation of the church at Thessalonica. However, the apostle didn’t boast often, and when he did, his boasting was always within the shadow of the cross. AND…always, aLwAyS, ALWAYS to the glory of the Lord. Still, Paul’s boasting is where I began breaking down the verses that held the three key markers of a healthy church). 

Just a reminder. A healthy church is:
Growing in faith
Increasing in love
Remaining steadfast in affliction



I checked out several Scriptures, but here’s the one that resonated with me, especially in light of  the list of three:

For our boast is this…that we behaved in the world in simplicity (without self-seeking benefit) and godly sincerity… 
(2 Corinthians 1:12)

I couldn’t stop looking at those two words: godly sincerity. So, I camped out a little while in study of the word that was translated into that phrase. Here are a few of the phrases synonymous:
Clearness of thought expressed verbally
Ingenuous (incapable of being devious or deceitful; unable to defraud)
Honorably straight forward
Frank and truthful
An inability to mask one’s feelings
An admission of responsibility

As I kept glancing back and forth from list to list, the mental light bulb started to shine. We can’t grow in faith, or increase in love, or keep on enduring in the midst of various trials unless we, as a church, are genuinely honest, loving one another without hypocrisy, and sharing vulnerably with a true connection of heart. The church (collectively and individually) should be, above all things, the ONE PLACE we can enter, be emotional messes without fear of judgment, and leave encouraged to press-on. Yes, there’s accountability that is uncomfortable and sometimes strong. Of course, there will be occasional hard truths spoken over us (a spiritual kick in the pants). However, there will also be comfort from those who have, themselves, been comforted. There will be instruction on how to do life. There will be hope revealed of better tomorrows. There will be healing laughter and times of fun. Yet, there will always be WORDS OF TRUTH and WORDS OF LIFE that will help us abide fully in the presence of the Lord with joy.



If we aren’t able to do the one (godly sincerity), we will never see the other (the marks of a healthy church). I don’t see it often; but, I have seen this lived out a time or two. Being able to be authentic with people who are genuinely for us is an amazing gift. It was one of God’s grandest and best ideas when He came up with the thought of CHURCH! 

And, when we see it, it is worth boasting about! It is worth applauding a church who can do this well to the glory of God. 

I ask myself now: Am I that kind of church for the other churches around me?
Is my collective church that kind of a church? 
If it is…the lost are probably flocking to it. If they aren’t, why not? 
If it is…we are probably enduring persecution, because the enemy would hate to see the church actually being the church. If it’s not, why not? (All those who desire to live in godly sincerity will be persecuted. 2 Timothy 3:12)



Am I looking for this kind of a church, or am I playing it safe, hiding in anonymity in a church that dishes out entertainment, and an easy-on-the-conscience word?  

Here’s this week’s #lessonsonthechurch: Church isn’t about growing in size, it’s about growing in sincere heart-connection. When we learn to connect at the soul-level, we certainly won’t have to worry about outreach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment