Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Bible As Commentary

I had a conversation a while back with an acquaintance who'd called me for a little marriage advice. She asked. I shared. She didn't like what I had to say. Basically, I directed her to Scripture. She was looking for someone who, more or less, had a magic wand, would agree with her that her husband was horrible, and could wave that wand to give him a quick fix. She'd tried many counselors...no one seemed to have the right wand, or the correct bippety-boppety-boo. I suggested she take a look at a few Biblical principles that could help, then work on herself, while asking the Lord to send conviction to her husband, rather than seek to change him. In the meantime, she could start with showing him respect (Ephesians 5:33). It dawned on me, by the end of the conversation, that this gal was looking to find the right counselor, the right book, the best program that would "do the trick." The Bible, however was simply an "add-on" which validated the counselor-program-book-of-choice-for-the-moment. Sadly, I own no magic wand (though I have often prayed for one); and the truth of the Word of God isn't just something to validate my opinions. My opinions are shaped by the TRUTH.


Here's what I walked away from this conversation with: The Bible isn't a commentary, that validate man's opinion or worldly philosophies; the Bible is a stand-alone-book. We don't find a belief-system we agree with, then look within Scripture to locate a God-Word to back up my-word. First, I find a God-Word that shapes my belief. God's Truth has been breathed from His mouth to my heart. When I read, it's not just for my information. It's for my transformation. This is foundational. Yet it seems using the Bible as a commentary is more common, especially in a world filled with Christian literature, blogs, Bible Studies, YouTube, and programming.

If I'm reading the Bible for life-change, I'm asking questions: Lord, what do you want from me as I read? What steps can I take to live out your teachings? How might I rise above the norms of this world, as I journey toward my real heavenly-home? I ask these questions because "nothing changes if nothing changes." I don't ask them because I think God's acceptance of me, or the value He places on me, is affected. I ask them, because I'd like to look more like the Son, here on earth, today. I ask them because I really do want to be "peculiar" (Paul's word in 1 Peter 2:9, KJV). Peculiar, not in an odd-crazy-way, but in a special, unique way that makes people wonder what I have that they don't. It's one way to fulfill the "you will be my witnesses" of Acts 1:8.  I, also, ask those questions, because it puts a smile on the Lord's face.


Stepping forth to live out Truth is an act of faith. The "want to" to change, and the tension of conviction (a God-placed-grace to want to change), requires no small amount of trust. Faith acts. Faith works. Living faith is far from stagnant; and, active faith pleases the Lord. It's reward in itself to feel the warmth of Jesus' smile in my spirit.


For me, change is not easy. I, too, want that magic wand (it's why I've prayed for one - don't think it's to help others - I'm certainly not that noble). I'm not a fan of the tension that comes with conviction. That push-pull between my want-to and my not-so-much is extremely uncomfortable. So, I wrestle with truths like the one the Lord showed me last week: "I want you to look more like Isaac." "You will be my witness." "You will be my "martys" (martyr)." Easy to hear. Easy to say. Hard to live out.


So, I give you this background, because there are a few other winds-of-change blowing through God's Word to my soul. I'm still on the wrestling mat with the Lord, regarding some of them. So...ponder the above ...wait for it...I'll share a few of those changes God's wanting to see in me next week.

How do you approach God's Word? Is it commentary to your belief-system; or does it, truly and fully, establish your beliefs?

No comments:

Post a Comment