Thursday, September 1, 2016

How to Approach Life's Changing Seasons

It's noticeable.
The summer season is slowly slipping into fall.
My backyard-aspen have a tinge of gold.
The mornings are cool and the days warm.
The squirrels are bustling about from tree to tree as they build their nests and prepare for winter...and it's only September 1 (could be evidence of a hard winter!).
There are signs the elk are moving down from the high-mountains.
Archery, and Muzzleloading, hunters are arriving and clogging up the aisles of my grocery store.
Mossy-oak-covered-everything is for sale in every sporting goods department in the state.
The zucchini in my garden is close to being harvested.


Only a few more days and all my grand-treasures will be back in school (some have been there for weeks).
I have a gnawing hunger \ thirst for something pumpkin...anything pumpkin...ok, all things pumpkin.
A pot of curried apple butternut squash is simmering on my stove for lunch.


Scarecrows and sunflowers are gracing my yard.


My favorite fall mugs sit on the counter...next to them is a bowl filled with candy-corn-dry-roasted-peanut mix (yum!).


I love fall.


But, then, I love winter...and, then, spring...and, then, can hardly wait for warm summer days.
I just like changing seasons.
It's partly why I love Colorado.
We didn't get seasons like this in Kenya...and, definitely not in Arizona.

Life is filled with seasons.
Several years ago, I remember reading through Chuck Swindle's devotional, Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life. 
Honestly, I didn't think much about those seasons at the time.
I was still young.
Still full of energy.
Still, prayerfully, raising small children...and trying to spin a lot of plates without dropping them.
This looks like me, back then...


I didn't notice there were changing seasons, literally, or metaphorically. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other.

But, I'm recognizing the signs of the seasons now.
Just as I'm watching them change outside, I'm seeing them change all around me.
In the last month, several dear friends have "graduated" on to heaven...too young and too soon.
Others are facing unexpected, disruptive diseases...
Still others are in financial crises...
Many are in relationship disasters...
Some are empty-nesters for the first time...
Some, who thought they'd be empty-nesters, have their children moving back in for multiple reasons, all explainable and necessary...
Others are in places of calm and quiet...
Some are finally able to catch their breath, following a swirling storm...
And, there are those who see a tornado on the horizon...heading right for them.

I see the signs, know what's coming, but to be honest, I haven't learned to love those kinds of changing seasons. It seems like I'm not as prepared for the Seasons of Life, as I am the literal seasons of my world.

So, this week, the Apostle Paul reminded me of the answer to that preparation. It's found in comparison. 
I was surprised by this.
Caught off guard.
Comparison - not, as in the comparison of my life to someone else's.
That kind of comparison is a joy-robber. Teddy Roosevelt was right.


So, nope, not that kind of comparison...
When we see the signs of a changing season, we must compare what is temporal to what is eternal.
When winter is coming, and it seems that it will be a harsh one, remember that in comparison to what is heavenly, our struggles are nothing more than "light momentary afflictions."
When the leaves start turning color and dropping off the trees of our lives, look otherworldly at what is FOREVER.

In that place, there is glory beyond compare.
At the end of every trial, there is hope.
The weight of the trial, can't begin to compare, what awaits at the other end.
In the season of hard, there is a God who Reigns Sovereign.
In fact...in the midst of our changing seasons, it's easy to forget that there is an "immeasurable weight of glory" waiting, for which we are being prepared.

Every season has a purpose.
Every purpose is for our good, His glory.


I pray I learn to love each coming season. No matter how hard.
I pray I learn to quickly surrender to each one, knowing that the outcome will be more than the pain...one day.
I pray I start learning how to compare - and put my focus there.
In that place there is courage to keep my head up, my faith strong, and my hope steadfast.

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18






No comments:

Post a Comment