Monday, November 7, 2016

A Thought for this Election

For me, election 2016 is over.
It's been said and done for some months, now.
No, votes have not been tallied.
Nope, no winner has been declared.
I have no clue who our next president will be.


It's not that I don't care.
I do...
In fact, today has been set aside as a "fast-and-pray-for-our-nation-day" by the American Family Association (AFA)...and I will pray and fast.
That's a calling for followers of Jesus.

If my people, who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, t hen I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14


Yes, I voted.
I've already turned in my ballot.
I'm thankful that I had an opportunity to have my voice heard.


The truth is over the past many, many months of this political climate;
the continuing dialogue that prevails at almost every gathering I attend;
the constant news reporting, and second-guessing;
I remembered something important...

THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME!

I know, DUH!!!!, RIGHT???
But, I'd slipped into a permanency-mindset...
I'd forgotten this place is temporary...
I'd let myself get carried away by the tide of anxiety that I sensed in the hearts of so many...


Then, I read these words from the Apostle Paul (because that's where I happened to be reading at the time - 2 Corinthians 13:11):
Live in peace...
(a tranquility of soul that fears nothing because one trusts in God and is content in its earthly lot of whatever sort it is...)


And I followed a few cross references to Jesus' words:
Peace I leave with you.
My peace I give you.
Not a peace like this temporary world gives; my peace...
So, don't be troubled in spirit.
Neither be afraid.
John 14:27


The Prince of Peace came.
He lived.
He preached a "gospel of peace" to all who would receive.
He died.
He rose.
He offered new life out of His death and resurrection.
His salvation placed me "in Him."

In me...you can have peace.
This world is filled with pressure and trouble and affliction...
But, follower, BE OF GOOD COURAGE
BE AT PEACE...
I have overcome the world.
John 16:33



Now, my Prince of Peace has gone to make ready my permanent home.
A place beyond anything I can think or imagine.
That's where my eyes are.

If then you have been raised with Christ, fix your eyes on the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on the things that are on earth...
Colossians 3:1-2


This world is on its way out.
That means, I am on my way in...
Where the Lord is on His Throne...
Where troubles disappear...
and unity prevails...
and PEACE is a constant.

So, this is my declaration...
GOD made me better than the results of an earthly election. 
I already have a ruler...
a King of Kings...
who is VICTORIOUS...
who has already OVERCOME...
So, no matter election results, I will live out my earthly days UNTROUBLED BY TROUBLE.


No comments:

Post a Comment