Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Until He Comes: Write!

I love the social media postings where mom's document their child's cute sayings.
You know that old adage, "out of the mouth of babes..."
Well, it's true (by the way, did you know it came from a Biblical reference?)!!

How I wish I'd documented the things my kids said.
Truly, there were some rare gems amidst all their incessant chatter.
How often have I wished I'd written some of them down.
Especially now that my mind is failing me.

The point of this particular Advent instruction is that we all should be writers.
Documenters.
Scribes.
Authors.


For me, writing is like breathing.
I've often imagined myself imprisoned with no pen or paper and I know I'd go crazy.


I don't write because I think I'm good at it.
I write because it keeps things fresh in my mind.
I write because it helps me makes sense of my world.


I write because it helps me
REMEMBER...

Just as it's hard to conjure up those cute things my children once said,
It's hard to remember the stories of my past.
But, if I write them down...
They stick to my memory like chewing gum to the bottom of a student's desk.

However, this isn't just about writing down kid-sayings.
It's about writing down God-sayings.
God-doings.
God-miracles.
God-at-work-in-the-midst of our lives.
We NEED to remember.
Why?

Because sometimes, in the midst of hard, or, simply, in the midst of the ordinary everyday of life, we are God-amnesiacs.

We write because the Lord instructs us to do so:

Write, therefore, the things that you have seen...
Revelation 1:19

Write the revelations I show you; make it plain...so that he may run who reads it...
Habakkuk 2:2

Write this as a memorial in a book and recite it often in ears...
Exodus 17:14

The Lord our God, the Lord is one
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
And these words I command you today shall be on your heart.
You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
You shall bind them as a sign...
You shall write them on the doorpost of your house and on your gates...
then take care lest you forget the Lord.
Deuteronomy 6:4-12.

God isn't calling us to be a professional.
He's calling us to be faithful.
He longs for His name, His majesty, His day-to-day care, His wondrous miracles, His heart, His voice to be passed down from age to age.
The purpose: HOPE!

There is no Advent without HOPE!


So, as we wait...
Let's use the time wisely.
Let's WRITE.
Let's record the stories.
Let's tell of His deeds that He will never be forgotten.




No comments:

Post a Comment