Thursday, June 1, 2017

Why Fix Your Eyes Above?

Plans are nothing; planning is indispensable.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower-


I can testify to the truth of President Eisenhower's words.

As mentioned, a few weeks back, Bay and I traveled to England, primarily staying in Essex during our two week stint.

On one specific day, we decided to go visit London, wanting to see so many of the places I'd read about in history classes in my growing-up years. I'm fascinated with history.

We had train tickets to get us to the heart of the city, paid for by our host.


We knew the name of the station where we were to exit.

We went with a dear friend, who'd been to London before, ministering with Athletes in Action during the Olympics in 2012.

I thought we were good to go. In fact, I was pretty confident...

Until we exited the crowded station. 

Until we stood on a street corner, with map in hand, surrounded by a concrete jungle of big buildings, feeling foolish.


We had no sense of direction.

Our friend who had been to London before was befuddled...nothing looked familiar and he didn't know which way to go... He would be no help.

Even Siri couldn't help me....she was lost, too, and couldn't even find herself on Google Maps.

I've never felt so small...looking up at high rises, thousands of people rushing past, and standing there sandwiched between two-over-6'6" (plus something) basketball players...and not knowing where to go.

It was an absolutely frustrating feeling of lostness.

We had not done our homework.

We didn't know what to expect when we arrived.

We had done no "planning"...and hence, we were "lost in the middle" of London.

In the end, we hopped on a tour bus (after multiple directions from passersby, and a lot of walking) and got a birds-eye view of history from the top of a double-decker.

Fact is, in the end, there's a lot I regret about that day...things I missed fully celebrating, because I was clueless...


XXXX

With this said, I've been reflecting on this scenario and eternity.

Eternity has always felt so "forever away..."

But, the fact is that this journey, we are all on, is much like the one I took to London.

I have my "ticket" - paid in full by Christ Jesus.

I know my destination - heaven.


I have family and dear friends who are going to be there with me.

There is so much I look forward to seeing once I arrive.

 So much, I have thought about for years.

So, I've wondered, is it possible to arrive on the scene of eternity and feel a bit "lost in the middle," because, in spite of the fact that I have a plan, I have done no planning...


Most of my life, I've approached heaven as I have my day in London.

When I get there, I'll see it...

When I arrive, I'll figure it out... 

Now, me thinks, a little better understanding of what to expect might be in order.

“For the Christian, death is not the end of adventure but a doorway from a world where dreams and adventures shrink, to a world where dreams and adventures forever expand.” 
Randy Alcorn, Heaven


And, here's a few reasons why.

  • Nothing clarifies life values like an understanding of eternity.
  • Nothing helps me dream God's dreams for me better than an idea of what will be important in the end.
  • Nothing allows me to plan for tomorrow like some expectation of what's to come.
  • In fact, how can I truly celebrate what's to come if I have no clue as to what that really looks like...


I certainly don't want to arrive at my destination and only get a "bird's eye view"...

For sure, I don't want to regret or miss out on anything that's to come...

The Apostle Paul made it clear, and I think I grasp this just a little better after my London-Experience...

"Fix your eyes on things above... 
(Colossians 3:2)"












No comments:

Post a Comment