Thursday, June 7, 2018

What Satan Wants Us to Believe



As I've been thinking more about my heavenly home, I have often pictured the events surrounding the home-going of my father-in-love. What a godly leader for his family! In death, as in life, Nelson Forrest led us well. So, when I read this quote (above) by Randy Alcorn, in his book,
Deadline, I immediately thought of Nelson. When he took his last breath on earth, he, too, gasped. We all believed that gasp was all we needed to know about where he went when his soul left his body... Alcorn just put the right words to it: it was a gasp of wonder...  

But, our enemy, the devil, has tried to fill our minds with lies about heaven and what it holds for us... He has an agenda, and as we mentioned last week, it is totally contrary to God's design for us.


Here's what Satan wants us to believe:

1. The "things of man" are much more glorious than the "things of God and heaven." If we can get distracted with all that lies below, the glory of heaven will dissipate, and we'll long for earth, more than we will long for our heavenly home.

2. Having a life on earth is far better than living a life in the glory of the Father - remember how Peter rebuked Jesus when he learned that Jesus' life on earth might be cut short? Well, that was a Satan-mindset!

3. Whoever would save his life on this earth would find it; but, whoever would lose his life, on this earth, will simply lose it.  It  profits a man to gain the things the world has to offer. 

4. We must cling to LIFE on earth at all costs.

5. Be afraid, be very afraid.


If these tenets become our mind-set, as they were Peter's, we fall prey to the schemes of the enemy, and our lives become a hindrance to the Kingdom of God, just as Peter was in the moment.

Fortunately, a little glimpse of heaven at the Transfiguration, shifted Peter's perspective.

It should change ours, too...

1. Heaven is much more glorious than earth...I have a new, magnificent HOME. I'm simply passing through this world.


2. Christ Jesus is our LIFE...and our life is hidden in Him. I have a new identity.

3. "Whoever (fights to save his life) will lose it, but whoever loses his life for (the Lord's sake) will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul (Mt. 16:25-26)?" I have a new purpose: living for Jesus' sake, offering His salvation to others.

4. To surrender our life, means living with no fear. At the Transfiguration, in awe and amazement at what they saw and heard, the disciples fell on their faces before the Lord, but Jesus came to them, touched them, and whispered these words, "Rise, and have no fear." I have a new focus..."When they lifted their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus." That was no mistake. Eyes on Jesus - this is our lifestyle.


5.  Add this all together and I have a new hope. A vibrant hope that will not disappoint. It is a hope I live for...His Kingdom Come.

Everyone of these perspectives is abnormal. It's a fight to keep my eyes on Jesus, and continue glancing heavenward. As mentioned earlier, it's just not natural, because Satan has so wormed his way on where my mind often focuses.


But to tell you the truth, I don't want Satan to win.

I'm re-working my perspective, just as Peter did, knowing that it is a process, just as everything else in the Christian life is...

BUT! Here's the thing:


I want to think more about thinking about heaven!

What I have to gain is far greater!

No comments:

Post a Comment